Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

waugh70

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2008
I had an incident and the MacBook will no longer power on / damaged beyond repair, but the original 128GB Apple SSD is intact. I need to get the data off the SSD if at all possible. I tried buying an external SSD enclosure to read the data, but even though the pins matched it was not compatible with this type of SSD from Apple.

My question is, if I purchase the exact same model MacBook Air 11" 2015 (Model A1465 (EMC 2924)), and I install my original SSD in the replacement computer of the exact same model, should it boot into MacOS and allow me to retrieve my data from the SSD? Or is there any kind of drive matching to mother board / encryption that will prevent this from working? I did not explicitly enable encryption on the drive.

Thanks for any advice! The laptop contains wedding pictures I don't have anywhere else (I know, I know, a TERRIBLE backup strategy was in place.)

cp1160

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2007
I've done the external SSD route with the similar MacBook Air, so it is possible. You likely have the wrong envclosure even though it is pin compatible.

Check to see if this unit would work for you.

I use one and it works fine. But your unit is a year different. Hope so. They have a few other units like it, snoop around a bit.

Note: I am not affiliated with them in anyway other than having been a customer more than once.

waugh70

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2008
I've done the external SSD route with the similar MacBook Air, so it is possible. You likely have the wrong envclosure even though it is pin compatible.

Check to see if this unit would work for you.

I use one and it works fine. But your unit is a year different. Hope so. They have a few other units like it, snoop around a bit.

Note: I am not affiliated with them in anyway other than having been a customer more than once.
Thanks for the recommendation! Unfortunately the SSD in question is one of the Apple NVMe Drives not supported by that enclosure (how to check compatibility https://eshop.macsales.com/Service/...26/788/Envoy-Pro-PCIe-Apple-SSD-Compatibility). That's the one I've already tried. I just want to get the data off the 128GB Apple SSD, and at this point I'm willing to buy an identical replacement computer to install my old SSD into, I just wondered if anyone knows of any reason that method would NOT work for a 2015 11" Macbook air with stock configuration.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
awwww, I'm sorry, i hate seeing when older MacBook are no longer
what happened?
anyways there is a enclosed someone or company has made for every ssd drive, ya just got to find one
OWC has several and could hav done in stock for your exact model.

glhiii

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2006
It won't work in the OWC external case (I tried), but works in other Macbook pros of the same vintage. It also worked for me in an 11" 2015 MBA.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.