Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Liakos11

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2023
i tried erasing my brother’s MacBook Ai, now it gives me the file with ? error when I turn it on, I go in recovery mode with cmd+R as it won’t let me do any of the other combinations. I then try to install Sierra and at -16 (or -360) seconds it gives me the error An error occurred while preparing the installation. Try running this application again. I have tried at least 10 times. I also have tried erasing the disk, first aiding it changing the date to todays date, all of that. Nothing seems to be working. Please help :)

DBB52E99-3F79-442C-B387-140BE0E7163E.jpeg
D2AD5ED0-99C6-4E33-A33E-F5D297ABE20B.jpeg

minik

macrumors demi-god
Jun 25, 2007
somewhere
I will suggestion the macOS Recovery via internet < Option-Command-R >. It should get you to macOS Monterey, run Disk Utility again and get the disk with the proper APFS format, then install the macOS . Curious what's the version of macOS previously?

Reactions: chabig

Liakos11

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2023
I will suggestion the macOS Recovery via internet < Option-Command-R >. It should get you to macOS Monterey, run Disk Utility again and get the disk with the proper APFS format, then install the macOS . Curious what's the version of macOS previously?
I have tried option-cmd-R and screen lights up but stays black, so i can’t do it that way. Is there any other way i could try?
I think it was Sierra previously but yes originally Monterey.

rmcat

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2021
I had the exact same problem when trying to reinstall the system on my old MBP not long ago, the problem was caused by cmd+R, and option+cmd+R should be used. I'm not sure why your screen would light up but stay black though, maybe you can try cmd+shift+option+R or install from a bootable usb.

minik

macrumors demi-god
Jun 25, 2007
somewhere
I did a search and most likely the built-in macOS installer certificate was expired or the computer time wasn't correct. If internet recovery wasn't working or you couldn't select a valid WiFi. The best bet may be creating a USB boot thumb drive on a different Mac and use that to boot the MacBook Air.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Yes, I agree about using a USB bootable installer. That will also mean that you can use YOUR choice of the system to install, and not necessarily the one that internet recovery offers.
You should choose to erase the internal drive, after choosing the "Apple SSD SM01..." line. Don't name the volume with the "OS X Base System", use the normal Apple factory default (Macintosh HD), or something else. That "Base System" is an internal name for the system that you are booting from in internet recovery, and not a real name that you want to use.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Set your date to 5-6 years ago in the recovery OS and install from USB without connection to the network.

The code-signing certificate has expired due to the age of the OS so you need to make the machine think it is several years ago to circumvent that to get it installed.

Also, you may want to try a bootable USB made with a different machine to try and get the firmware updated and/or install a newer OS as Sierra is well out of date and insecure.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
I have tried option-cmd-R and screen lights up but stays black, so i can’t do it that way.
Be patient. It's downloaded the operating system over the internet and that has to complete before it continue booting. My suggestion...walk away for a hour or two while it's downloading.

Reactions: halledise

Liakos11

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2023
thank you everyone, i am now creating a bootable installer and will try this way. hopefully it will work

Reactions: minik

Justgas

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2023
I’m going through the same issue please let me know what to do please?

Attachments

• IMG_3744.jpeg
    IMG_3744.jpeg
    728.8 KB · Views: 51

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
hmm... Your screen is broken! Replacing that might be your best first step...
for the macOS install, you may have a better result with a newer system, such as Monterey

Liakos11

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2023
I’m going through the same issue please let me know what to do please?
Hi i ended up making a bootable usb of the macos i wanted to install, i did use another mac to make the usb and then it was very straight forward. i didn’t reeeally know what i was doing lol so it’s easy enough

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.