Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Arex

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2009
Hi guys,

I could do with some advise - I have tried running Parallels and Windows XP on my Unibody macbook Pro (2.52GHz with 4GB RAM) with a traditional hard drive. It runs OK, but can be a bit laggy at times.

I really want to cut down to a Macbook Air as I love the size, etc. however I am wondering if using the SSD instead would create a "lag free" virtualised experience, running as quickly and easily as if the windows apps were native mac apps..... Had anyone tried it?

nph

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2005
Hi

I have tried VMWare on a MBA rev B w SSD.
It is not like running Apple apps but it beats an original MBP from -06 when it comes to speed.
It is usable and surprisingly fast although not like an Apple app.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
With the SSD in the MBA you're not going to be waiting on drive spinning and no beachballs. It's much faster for common things like bootup, shutdown, opening apps, large files, and etc.

However, an SSD in an MBP would do the same for it.

LAS.mac

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2009
Mexico
Hi guys,

I could do with some advise - I have tried running Parallels and Windows XP on my Unibody macbook Pro (2.52GHz with 4GB RAM) with a traditional hard drive. It runs OK, but can be a bit laggy at times.

I really want to cut down to a Macbook Air as I love the size, etc. however I am wondering if using the SSD instead would create a "lag free" virtualised experience, running as quickly and easily as if the windows apps were native mac apps..... Had anyone tried it?

That' sounds strange to me. I have an imac (mid '08) with 2.8 Ghz and 4Gb ram. I use Parallels 4 quite often, mainly to run Excel macros. I have no lagging at all. Not only, but my macros (Excel XP under win XP Professional) are way faster than with my PC laptop (Dell XPS, 2.0 Ghz, 4Gb, Vista Professional). And were also faster on the mac with only 2 Gb ram (I have 512 Mb in Parallels).
I guess this is due to Vista vs. XP. In your case, however, sounds weird because I don't think that the processor difference between 2.53 to 2.8 should be so evident.
About the MBA: provided that it has 2 Gb RAM and a quite speedy processor, and that it has a SSD, it should have plenty of power to run emulation with Parallels. I don't know about gaming, but for normal use, it should be OK.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.