Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xeram

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2020
Hi there,

I recently bought a 512Gb NVMe M.2 ssd from verbatim as it was really cheap and I also bought the adapter on eBay so that it'd fit in my macbook (the adapter is from sintech) but after installing it, the ssd doesn't show up in disk utility or ubuntu terminal, I tried so many different methods but I still could't find out what the problem is. One thing to note, when I uninstall the ssd it gets pretty warm I don't know if it's just the heat from my mac or something else. Does anyone have a clue?

Thanks!

xeram

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2020
Is the MacBook running a High Sierra or later bootrom?

Are you using Disk Utility from High Sierra?
My MacBook is currently on Catalina, I tried using the bootable usb and when I open disk Utility the ssd didn’t show up.

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
My MacBook is currently on Catalina, I tried using the bootable usb and when I open disk Utility the ssd didn’t show up.
The USB has Catalina? In disk utility, did you select the option to view all devices?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-06-26 at 1.33.53 PM.png
    Screenshot 2020-06-26 at 1.33.53 PM.png
    102.4 KB · Views: 344

xeram

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2020
The USB has Catalina? In disk utility, did you select the option to view all devices?
Yes, the usb is on Catalina and yes, I did click the option. I also tried the terminal method, it doesn’t seem to work.

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Just want to confirm that this is a mid-2013 Air running a Catalina bootrom?

The Sintech adapter is the short and black one or long and black?

Tried installing and reinstalling the adapter and drive?

Are you able to test the drive and/or adapter in another MacBook?

xeram

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2020
Just want to confirm that this is a mid-2013 Air running a Catalina bootrom?

The Sintech adapter is the short and black one or long and black?

Tried installing and reinstalling the adapter and drive?

Are you able to test the drive and/or adapter in another MacBook?

Yes, it is a mid 2013 air running Catalina.
The Sintech adapter is a short black one.
Yep, I've done that multiple times and the ssd only gets warm but doesn't show up in disk utility.
Unfortunately the other macbooks that I have is the 2020 air and the 12"macbook and those two cannot fit the drive in.

mba2015

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2020
Hi there,

I recently bought a 512Gb NVMe M.2 ssd from verbatim as it was really cheap and I also bought the adapter on eBay so that it'd fit in my macbook (the adapter is from sintech) but after installing it, the ssd doesn't show up in disk utility or ubuntu terminal, I tried so many different methods but I still could't find out what the problem is. One thing to note, when I uninstall the ssd it gets pretty warm I don't know if it's just the heat from my mac or something else. Does anyone have a clue?

Thanks!
Hello. I had a similar problem. mba2015 with samsung 970 evo disk - the nvme disk adapter was damaged; I bought another one and the disc is visible

xeram

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2020
Do you have a Win10 installer that was created with Bootcamp?
No I don't. Like I think I will try putting the nvme drive on my friend's windows computer and see if it's the disk's problem or if it's the adapter's problem. Cuz one of them could be damaged.
[automerge]1593359012[/automerge]
Hello. I had a similar problem. mba2015 with samsung 970 evo disk - the nvme disk adapter was damaged; I bought another one and the disc is visible
Cheers mate, I will try and get another from a different "eBay shop"

Reactions: Audit13

Jack Neill

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2015
San Antonio Texas
I had the exact same issue on a sintech and a M.2 sata MX on a 2012. Turns out the the adapter wasn't seated properly. I took it apart again and seated it again and it showed up.

Reactions: AphoticD
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.