Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Biebsy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 18, 2019
When I shutdown my MacBook Air Early 2014, the screen first turns to semi black for a second and it's like a stain getting smaller towards the bottom until it's fully, darker black. It doesn't show on camera so I can't show it, but I was wondering if this is normal. It looks like the pixels are turning off in a certain order but on the other hand it kinda has a liquid effect - as if there's liquid under the screen only noticable at that split second.

Aside from this short moment, the screen works perfectly. I can't find anything on the internet about this "problem"...

Is this normal? And if not, what causes this? Can it be harmful?

Biebsy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 18, 2019
Turned out a NVRAM reset solved it and that it wasn't harmful. Still not sure what caused it though.

Cancelled
Jun 5, 2012
It always happens on my MacBook Air 2014 after I shut it down. It has been occurring every time I shut down the computer since I first purchased it 4 years ago.

Doesn't affect the performance or the quality of screen when it's turned on.

I don't think you should be worried about this.

Reactions: Biebsy

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
It always happens on my MacBook Air 2014 after I shut it down. It has been occurring every time I shut down the computer since I first purchased it 4 years ago.

Well, it solved itself after a reset as he says above, you might do the same.;)

Biebsy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 18, 2019

Thanks alot though, it's really good to know I wasn't the only one - and that you didn't experience any other problems for years. Maybe it's a common thing for the 2014 ones, who knows.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.