Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RainSpeed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 27, 2018
Hallo Guys,

- I already searched for a similar problem than mine in this forum, but didn't find anything helpful. -

My MacBook Air 2015 is dead and I don't have a clue whats broken, maybe you guys can help me.

Everything began with this issue: My MacBook Air (MBA) just turned off while I was watching something on netflix. My MBA was charging so I was confused whats happened. So I tried to turn it back on, but nothing happened. It didn't work for the whole day. I tried everything ... SMC Reset, RVRAM reset ... nothing helped.

Until the next day. I just tried to start my MBA and it worked again... but only for a few hours. Than it went off again and I was not able to start it, again. In this moment I also realized that If I restart my MBA it also won't turn back on(!), once it goes off it, it stays off, even if I "restart" my MBA.

I thought maybe something is wrong with my SSD, so I planned to reset my ssd (I have a backup, so that is no problem) the next morning. It turned on as I expected and system was nearly reset, but as you might know the system restart before the backup is complete - my MBA just went off without restarting the system and it stayed off.

I had no clue whats wrong, but I ordered those pentalobe screwdrivers to check if the battery is broken or so...

So I opened the backplate and disconnected the battery and started my MBA with the charged... but nothing happened again. The weird thing is that I can hear twice a clicking when I start my MBA. I tried to hear where this clicking is coming from, and I think it is coming from the SSD. So I also removed the SSD from its screw and tried to start my MBA. - If I am not wrong my MBA should start even without a SSD it should probably say there is no hard drive inside or so...

But sadly nothing happened even the clicking was gone.. and my MBA didn't turn on or made any noise.

Now I put everything back together and if I listen carefully I can hear the clicking (twice) as soon as I press the power button.

So my finale question is, is my logic board broken or is it the ssd? Or is it even something else?

There was no fluid that damaged the MBA and sadly I am just one year out of apple warranty...

It would be awesome if you guys could help me :)

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I assume there are no problems with the charger?

I would try this: remove the bottom cover, disconnect the battery, remove the SSD, replace the bottom cover, connect the charger, don't touch the machine and see if the machine turns on by itself. If it does start up by itself, shut down, connect the battery, connect the charger and try to boot again.

If the steps above don't work, do the same thing except disconnect the trackpad ribbon cable from the logic board before connecting the charger. If it powers up, shut down using the power button, connect the trackpad cable, connect battery, try to boot up.

rich1812

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2015
earth
I assume there are no problems with the charger?

I would try this: remove the bottom cover, disconnect the battery, remove the SSD, replace the bottom cover, connect the charger, don't touch the machine and see if the machine turns on by itself. If it does start up by itself, shut down, connect the battery, connect the charger and try to boot again.

If the steps above don't work, do the same thing except disconnect the trackpad ribbon cable from the logic board before connecting the charger. If it powers up, shut down using the power button, connect the trackpad cable, connect battery, try to boot up.

Before you assume the worst, I would first check the mag connection on you charger. That thing is pain in the butt. It is tightly sealed, inside may have a loose wire you can get to. It is impossible to crack it up without doing any demage to it. impossible to fix thanks to Apple. Try to borrow a charger follow from a friend and try it out first.
Hallo Guys,

- I already searched for a similar problem than mine in this forum, but didn't find anything helpful. -

My MacBook Air 2015 is dead and I don't have a clue whats broken, maybe you guys can help me.

Everything began with this issue: My MacBook Air (MBA) just turned off while I was watching something on netflix. My MBA was charging so I was confused whats happened. So I tried to turn it back on, but nothing happened. It didn't work for the whole day. I tried everything ... SMC Reset, RVRAM reset ... nothing helped.

Until the next day. I just tried to start my MBA and it worked again... but only for a few hours. Than it went off again and I was not able to start it, again. In this moment I also realized that If I restart my MBA it also won't turn back on(!), once it goes off it, it stays off, even if I "restart" my MBA.

I thought maybe something is wrong with my SSD, so I planned to reset my ssd (I have a backup, so that is no problem) the next morning. It turned on as I expected and system was nearly reset, but as you might know the system restart before the backup is complete - my MBA just went off without restarting the system and it stayed off.

I had no clue whats wrong, but I ordered those pentalobe screwdrivers to check if the battery is broken or so...

So I opened the backplate and disconnected the battery and started my MBA with the charged... but nothing happened again. The weird thing is that I can hear twice a clicking when I start my MBA. I tried to hear where this clicking is coming from, and I think it is coming from the SSD. So I also removed the SSD from its screw and tried to start my MBA. - If I am not wrong my MBA should start even without a SSD it should probably say there is no hard drive inside or so...

But sadly nothing happened even the clicking was gone.. and my MBA didn't turn on or made any noise.

Now I put everything back together and if I listen carefully I can hear the clicking (twice) as soon as I press the power button.

So my finale question is, is my logic board broken or is it the ssd? Or is it even something else?

There was no fluid that damaged the MBA and sadly I am just one year out of apple warranty...

It would be awesome if you guys could help me :)

Before you assume the worst, I would first check the mag connection on you charger. That thing is pain in the butt. It is tightly sealed, inside may have a loose wire you can't get to. It is impossible to crack up without doing any demage to it, impossible to fix thanks to Apple. Try to borrow a charger from a friend and try it out first.

salnh20

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2021
hello, my macbook air 2015 do the same thing like yours. and my techinician said that there's problem on logic board. but i still not believe it. i cant imagine because i just used in light mode (texting and browsing). so, is your macbook still on powered off now?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.