Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

salnh20

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2021
hello good people, please respond my thread. Im macbook air 2015 user. My macbook diagnosed logic board failure just now. and its break my heart because i used it in light mode like writing down on office, listening music, browsing on safari and designing in corel draw. and never spilled of liquid onto it. I care and hold with my heartworthy but i frequently left my macbook on sleep mode. is it matter? and able to make my logic board failed? or could you tell me why my logic board failed? thanks, your opinion will be usefull for me:)))))

SmOgER

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2014
It's hard to diagnose something like this remotely. I saw you posted in another thread also. I reckon your best bet is to take it somewhere else for a second opinion.

tis

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2020
My late 2013 MBP logic board eventually had to be replaced because I had a memory module failure and the sound stopped working. Just bad luck, I guess.

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
I've seen a few 2015 i7 13" MacBook Airs suffer logic board failures where the laptop spontaneously shuts down and fails to start up again. The only thing that will temporarily bring it back to life is to remove the bottom case and disconnect the battery from the logic board for a minute. Replacing the battery doesn't make a difference.

SmOgER

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2014
I've seen a few 2015 i7 13" MacBook Airs suffer logic board failures where the laptop spontaneously shuts down and fails to start up again. The only thing that will temporarily bring it back to life is to remove the bottom case and disconnect the battery from the logic board for a minute. Replacing the battery doesn't make a difference.
Resetting PRAM/NVRAM and SMC could be tried in this case. May speed things up and maybe it boots up without disconnecting the battery.

Reactions: Macdctr

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
Resetting PRAM/NVRAM and SMC could be tried in this case. May speed things up and maybe it boots up without disconnecting the battery.
I've definitely tried those things a few times. It's been a few years, but one of the laptops got into a state where pressing the power button did absolutely nothing until you disconnected the battery. That laptop I had to send to the recycler, unfortunately.

Macdctr

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2009
Ocean State
As SmOgER mentioned I would start by doing the PRAM/NVRAM and SMC reset procedure first to see if this will reset your laptop. If that does not work then as Silencio mentioned, take the back cover off (you will need a special pentalobe tool for the screws), unplug the AC to the laptop then open the back cover and unplug the battery. Then try plugging in the AC adapter to the mag port and see if the laptop will boot using only the AC power. If so then logic board should be okay. You can then power down the laptop and then plug in the battery to see if the laptop will function as normal again. Sometimes you have to plug and then unplug the battery (assuming the battery cycle count is not close to 1000). If you have a high cycle count then I would suggest getting a brand new battery to replace in your MacBook Air.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.