Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lowggy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2022
Wellington, Ontario
I bought a 2015 MacBook Air because it could use a mouse, printer and other ext. connections without changing cables but with the OS at 10.11.6 I can not load Microsoft 365, can not use most word processors. Can I update tgecOS so I can?

diego.caraballo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2013
I bought a 2015 MacBook Air because it could use a mouse, printer and other ext. connections without changing cables but with the OS at 10.11.6 I can not load Microsoft 365, can not use most word processors. Can I update tgecOS so I can?
Yes, you can run up to Monterrey on it, but I would recommend to stick with Big Sur, since the machine will be kind of slow otherwise.

Lowggy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2022
Wellington, Ontario
How do I do the upgrade, it does not seem straight forward? It says to go to the App Store and download the OS you want. I don’t even see Monterrey or Big Sur. I am fairly new to the MacBook Air.

diego.caraballo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2013
How do I do the upgrade, it does not seem straight forward? It says to go to the App Store and download the OS you want. I don’t even see Monterrey or Big Sur. I am fairly new to the MacBook Air.
The easy way is to download the installer in other Mac (a borrowed one) and create a bootable installer.

Then if the above is not possible, you can try internet recovery:

• On an Intel-based Mac, if you use Option-Command-R during startup, you might be offered the latest macOS that is compatible with your Mac.
but this option will offer Monterrey.

Lowggy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2022
Wellington, Ontario
The first part sounds too complicated for me so I am going to try the latter first but it sounds like I should be going for Big Sur. Is there another less complicated, don’t have to borrow another MacBook, way of getting Big Sur loaded p?

diego.caraballo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2013
The first part sounds too complicated for me so I am going to try the latter first but it sounds like I should be going for Big Sur. Is there another less complicated, don’t have to borrow another MacBook, way of getting Big Sur loaded p?
If you use internet recovery and install Monterrey, later you can follow the steps and create a Big Sur installer on your own Mac. Not complicated, I promise!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.