Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tomdottcom

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2024
Hi all, I have a tricky issue here, which I've tried to solve but in vain. So I'm coming here as a last resort to try to pick the brain of those who are much smarter than me to help out!

Here is the problem:
- when I plug in the charging cable, there is no light on the cable at all
- the macbook won't turn on at all (probably cuz the battery is also depleted)
- the fan doesn't turn on at all when I press the power button (I opened the bottom case cover to check)
- when the battery was disconnected and then connected back, it can turn on and did at one point get to the login screen but it will turn off afterward (probably cuz the battery is flat)

Below are what I did to try to fix it:
1. Replaced the logic board
- I replaced the A1466 model logic board with another one that is for the 2015 model i5 1.6Ghz 8Gb ram (i forgot what the spec of the original one was at the moment).
- After replacing it, the macbook can turn on and did again get to the same login screen but turn off again
- when I plug in the charging cable, there is still no light on at all

2. Replaced the I/O board
- I replaced the I/O board that is for the 2013 to 2017 model
- Still the same issue with not turning on and also not charging (no light on the charging cable)

3. Reset SMC
- I read online and followed the instruction to reset the SMC by pressing Shift + Ctrl + Option and the power button for 10 seconds.
- Still can't turn on and not charging.

4. Tried charging with a different charger
- As I don't have another magsafe2 charger at home, I went to an apple store and tried using their charger to charge my laptop after replacing both the logic board and I/O board. It still doesn't charge (no light on the charging cable).

I am now at the stage where I think all the power related hardware have been replaced and there can't be much else that could be the cause of the problem. Below are my thoughts on narrowing down on which component is causing the issue:

Battery
- I've tried unplugging the battery and then having the charging cable plugged in (with no light on though) and tried to turn on my laptop.
- It does have a very faint apple logo on the screen, which stayed on for like a minute and then it is gone.
- Given that without the battery being plugged in, it still have problem turning on. I think it is safe to rule out it is a battery problem.

Display
- As there were two occasion that I've seen the display turned on and did load to the login screen, I think it is safe to say it is not a display issue.

I/O Board Flex Cable
- At this moment, I can only think of replacing the I/O board flex cable that connect the I/O board to the logic board (see attached for a pic of that cable).

Any Ideas?
- I've been scratching my head on what else could be the cause of this problem as effectively all the components that is essential for it to turn on have been replace or is ruled out as being a problem.
- I don't think any issue with the SSD drive can cause this issue right? So far I haven't swap out the SSD drive with another one as I didn't think a hard disk can cause this.
- Please feel free to suggest any thing I can try to narrow down the problem.

Many thanks for reading this very long post and trying to help!

Attachments

• IO board flex cable.png
    IO board flex cable.png
    72.9 KB · Views: 84
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.