Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

superasn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2017
Hi,

I recently purchased a new Macbook Air 2017 and now I'm thinking of buying this monitor LG 25UM58 for desktop use. If you go to the monitor page it says it only has two HDMI 2 inputs.

Now I'm researching some cables for "Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter" and all of them say the max resolution for HDMI cable is 1920 x 1080. So I'm guessing this won't work because I want a 2560 x 1080 (the native monitor res)

So can anyone please tell how to connect the two together. Also the cheapest way to do it?

Regards,
San

P.S. I've checked with the seller and the monitor I'm getting does not have a Displayport :/

Last edited:

superasn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2017
If possible buy a monitor with a display port. My 2017 Macbook Air I use a Samsung older U590D that is running at 3840 by 2160 @60Hz with TB2 to DP cable. Belkin and others offer MiniDisplay to HDMI adapters that list 4K@30 so they should run a 2560.
https://www.apple.com/shop/product/HHLN2ZM/B/belkin-4k-mini-displayport-to-hdmi-adapter

Thanks for the reply. Yes i did get one with a displayport only [samsung-lu24e590ds]. It did exceed my budget but the resolution is higher and now i can simply use a dp to dp cable with that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.