Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dgurney

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 13, 2019
Finland
I've been looking for a smaller replacement for my Thinkpad X230, and I'd really like to get a Mac since I miss the OS. I could wait until October to buy a dual-thunderbolt MBP, but at the same time I don't really need significantly higher performance, just something more portable, so I would like to save money (and get the laptop sooner) by buying a Macbook Air, since a 16GB/256GB MBA costs 1769€ compared to 2039€ that a similar MBP would set me back.

What I intend to do on it is the same as my X230, so mostly web browsing, light development (mainly in Go, might look into making iOS/macOS apps in the future), light virtualization, occasionally compiling open-source software, and photo editing. Graphics performance is not important, since I will be playing only old or non-demanding games on the go. For anything more demanding, I have my beefy desktop PC.

While comparing the Geekbench scores of my i5-3380M-equipped X230 and the Air, the Air scores generally seem higher save for a few tests (link). Does this mean that my hunch about the MBA being mostly equivalent or better is correct, or is the relatively short Geekbench test duration misleading when it comes to longer, heavier workloads?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.