Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Trt740

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 1, 2014
Ohio
I bought my daughter a New MacBook Air 2020 M1 and after an update it started to automatically open programs on its own and swipe closed open programs and apps without touching the trackpad. Also the space bar stopped working and the escape button malfunction randomly. We took it back to the Apple store and they erased the MacBook and gave it back to us reinstalling the operating system over my protests. Well it started doing it again, so I did a lengthy search and found a few mentions of shutting off Siri and disabling the keyboard accessibility shortcuts keys if enabled. Apparently these functions can cause all of these problem. After I turned off both settings the problem was fixed. I wanted to post this so that if this occurs to someone else they can find the fix. Apple wanted to replace the keyboard and trackpad after sending it away for several weeks. NOOOO!

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I bought my daughter a New MacBook Air 2020 M1 and after an update it started to automatically open programs on its own and swipe closed open programs and apps without touching the trackpad. Also the space bar stopped working and the escape button malfunction randomly. We took it back to the Apple store and they erased the MacBook and gave it back to us reinstalling the operating system over my protests. Well it started doing it again, so I did a lengthy search and found a few mentions of shutting off Siri and disabling the keyboard accessibility shortcuts keys if enabled. Apparently these functions can cause all of these problem. After I turned off both settings the problem was fixed. I wanted to post this so that if this occurs to someone else they can find the fix. Apple wanted to replace the keyboard and trackpad after sending it away for several weeks. NOOOO!
It still shouldn't be necessary to disable part of the computer's normal function. I'd get the keyboard replaced as Apple suggested. In the US, at least, these repairs typically take just a couple of days.

Reactions: Trt740

Trt740

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 1, 2014
Ohio
It still shouldn't be necessary to disable part of the computer's normal function. I'd get the keyboard replaced as Apple suggested. In the US, at least, these repairs typically take just a couple of days.
Apple said they tested all the hardware and it was not the problem. As a last ditch attempt they were going to recommend the repair place they send it out to start replacing parts after it happened again. However, they said most likely the repair place would just return it to us since they could not find an issue. Thus wasting weeks of our time. Apparently the MacBook Air and Pro have issues with Microsoft products, Office and Word, since a few updates ago when using these functions. I only know this after finding the same or similar problems listed on Apples own forums. The genius bar had no idea it was posted as an issue on their forum. I hope that clears it up. It was hard to find. At least for me it was. If this helps, I did a good deed and if not well then I tried.

Last edited:

FAD93

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2023
España
En mi caso, Siri y tecla escape dejan de funcionar tras un tiempo indeterminado de uso hasta que reinicias.
Los test de hardware del Servicio Técnico aparecen correctos "ok".
Se está escalando el caso con Soporte Técnico de Apple, reportando a ingeniería.
Parece un bug, que lleva más de un año en este macOS Ventura y el Monterey. En internet hay muchos usuarios que reportan problemas parecidos.
Al no ser un problema de hardware, te recomiendo que lo reportes al Soporte Técnico.
Apple no lo hace público ni ofrece ninguna satisfacción y, en mi experiencia, deja que el usuario sufra el problema, aburriéndolo...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.