Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bravo2zero

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 1, 2013
Sheffield
Hello I've got MacBook Air 2017 and on 10.15. My system has a 500gb SSD Nvme and since upgrading to 10.15 the storage has gone from 350gb free to 37gb. I have deleted a 75gb file of zips I downloaded but system still saying 37gb free ??

I have downloaded daisy disk and its reporting 375gb hidden which it won't access.

how can I free up this ?

tamaralig

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2014
Do you have Time Machine on? If so force a backup and see if that increases the available space. I have a similar issue, because for some reason after my backup on the 10th, it's been stuck at preparing backup and not moving and I've watched "Other" in storage increase or if it's attempting a backup, it gets stuck on Calculating. I had this same problem when macOS Mojave first went into Beta. I can't find my docs on the Terminal Commands that will flush the snapshots that I used to clear it up in Mojave.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-06-15 at 12.33.54 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-06-15 at 12.33.54 PM.png
    6.3 MB · Views: 192
  • Screen Shot 2019-06-15 at 12.36.14 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-06-15 at 12.36.14 PM.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 211

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Do you have Time Machine on? If so force a backup and see if that increases the available space. I have a similar issue, because for some reason after my backup on the 10th, it's been stuck at preparing backup and not moving and I've watched "Other" in storage increase or if it's attempting a backup, it gets stuck on Calculating. I had this same problem when macOS Mojave first went into Beta. I can't find my docs on the Terminal Commands that will flush the snapshots that I used to clear it up in Mojave.

To turn OFF local snapshots entirely via Terminal:
Code:
sudo tmutil disablelocal

To list existing local snapshots:
Code:
sudo tmutil listlocalsnapshots /Volumes/
The snapshots will be listed with a timestamp.

To delete existing local snapshots by timestamp (from above):
Code:
sudo tmutil deletelocalsnapshots 2017-10-20-002004

Reactions: tamaralig

TimothyR734

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2018
Logsden Oregon
Just in case anyone who is running Catalina and notice free disk space is shrinking you might try this to recover some space There are 2 places now where the snapshots are stored due to the system being separated now.

In terminal list them separately with

tmutil listlocalsnapshots /

tmutil listlocalsnapshots /System/Volumes/Data

If you wish you can then manually delete them with

tmutil deletelocalsnapshots <snapshot_date>

Reactions: tamaralig
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.