Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arisnick

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2018
okay so I have barely used this Mac and I had it plugged in yesterday morning and came home to some issues. I was sitting on the couch and could hear it running even though it was closed so I owned it up and it was on a screen with a folder and question mark. I hit the power button and it turned off. I then turned it back on but it doesnt load at all. The Apple is lit up and the screen is slightly lit but that’s all. It does make the startup sound when I turn it on but no lights on the keyboard or caps lock if I press it. I tried to hold command r, I did the p r key combination and a couple other things but nothing is helping this poor little guy turn on. Does anyone have advice, or other things I can try? I’m frustrated because it worked great for a couple days and then this problem happened. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
You mean the screen is dim and the apple logo on the top case lights up or is the screen and on-screen apple logo dim?

Was the unit exposed to any liquids in the past?

arisnick

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2018
You mean the screen is dim and the apple logo on the top case lights up or is the screen and on-screen apple logo dim?

Was the unit exposed to any liquids in the past?
Not exposed to liquids at all. The Apple is pretty well lit but the screen just seems dim or barely lit around the edges. When I turn it on it makes the sound but then nothing. If I push the caps lock key it doesn’t light up either.

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
This is my understand as to what's happening:

1. power up the Macbook and it chimes;
  2. the exterior, white Apple logo lights up when the Macbook is powered on; and
  3. the screen itself is dim.
Do you see anything on the screen when you power it up? Usually, the on-screen Apple logo will appear with a progress bar underneath.

arisnick

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2018
This is my understand as to what's happening:

1. power up the Macbook and it chimes;
  2. the exterior, white Apple logo lights up when the Macbook is powered on; and
  3. the screen itself is dim.
Do you see anything on the screen when you power it up? Usually, the on-screen Apple logo will appear with a progress bar underneath.
Yes you are understanding correctly. No on screen Apple or progress bar. I have tried to restore it or use safe mode, and done some flashing but nothing has helped.

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Try this: power up the unit and shine a very bright light through the apple logo on the top case and look for signs of activity. If you see something, connect the unit to an external monitor and keyboard if possible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.