Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Schnooder

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2018
Hello geniuses.

I took my MB Air into a non-apple shop and they replaced the keyboard but now the Touch ID won't work. I've tried resetting the PRAM, the SMC and nothing's improved. Touch ID in system settings (or when trying to setup a completely new user) won't even allow me to add a fingerprint. I haven't done a complete wipe/reset.

I read something about the M1 sensors being linked to their original logic board so swapping keyboards without apple calibrating them is fruitless, but I didn't know if that was also the case with Intel macs.

Thanks a ton for your insight,

D

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
There's nothing you can do on your end. What you read also applies to Macs with the T2 chip. If it was an Apple Authorized Service Provider, they should have ran a system configuration tool to pair the new Touch ID sensor to your Mac. If it was done by a third party, you're probably out of luck.

Reactions: Jumpthesnark

Schnooder

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2018
Thank you iStorm. Perhaps a dumb question, but if I still have the original Touch ID sensor from the broken keyboard. Do you think it could be possible to swap it out with the one from the replacement keyboard? Or does it go deeper than that?

Attachments

• IMG_1576.jpg
    IMG_1576.jpg
    434.3 KB · Views: 23

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
Thank you iStorm. Perhaps a dumb question, but if I still have the original Touch ID sensor from the broken keyboard. Do you think it could be possible to swap it out with the one from the replacement keyboard? Or does it go deeper than that?
Good question, I think that would work!

According to the self repair manual for the 2020 MBA (they don't have one for the 2019 MBA), the Touch ID board and keyboard are two different things, so I don't see why swapping them wouldn't work.

Schnooder

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2018
Good question, I think that would work!

According to the self repair manual for the 2020 MBA (they don't have one for the 2019 MBA), the Touch ID board and keyboard are two different things, so I don't see why swapping them wouldn't work.

Wow. Let’s hope it does! I’m bringing it back to the repair shop tomorrow and we’ll see if they’re game to try. I’ll report back. Thanks again.

Reactions: Jumpthesnark

Schnooder

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2018
Wow. Let’s hope it does! I’m bringing it back to the repair shop tomorrow and we’ll see if they’re game to try. I’ll report back. Thanks again.
Update: That was it! Put the old button back in and she’s back to normal. Thank you.

Reactions: iStorm
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.