Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tallgrl230

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 16, 2019
Hi all,

A few months back I downloaded a free trial version of the virus protection called ClamXav. When it expired I tried to remove it but haven't deleted all of it. I Googled how to remove it (I'm a newer Mac user) and followed directions on locating all the files in "library" that had pieces of the program embedded, then I deleted them. After that, I emptied the trash.

Immediately my pc started sending me the following error and it slowed down and started locking up. How do I get this thing completely removed? Please remember I'm not computer savvy and I'm learning the Mac System. I use Macbook Air and Mojave.

BTW, it tells me to launch the app, but I have already deleted the app and don't really want to do it again since it's a pain to remove. Thanks!

Attachments

• clamxac.png
    clamxac.png
    130.8 KB · Views: 332

Tallgrl230

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 16, 2019
The link to nektony.com isn't helpful, but thanks! It's the same link I used to attempt to remove it in the first place. How do I get rid of the part that keeps sending me pop-ups?

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003
The link to nektony.com isn't helpful, but thanks! It's the same link I used to attempt to remove it in the first place. How do I get rid of the part that keeps sending me pop-ups?

you and one previous poster have been following the wrong directions to Uninstall ClamXAV.

you have been following a site called Nektony that has nothing to do with ClamXAV.

the only real connection between Nektony and ClamXAV is that Nektony is trying to sell you its own app for app removal.
Nektony tries to complicate app removal in order to sell its own software.

you want to go to ClamXAV's site and go to the this page ( https://www.clamxav.com/support/FAQs/ )
go to the bottom of this FAQ page and the last thing mentioned and provided is the link to download the ClamXAV uninstaller.

sorry that ClamXAV didn't work out for you. its been my go to main malware/virus scanner for years, since its very easy and light and is easily uninstalled if you use its own tool.

HTH

Tallgrl230

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 16, 2019
you and one previous poster have been following the wrong directions to Uninstall ClamXAV.

you have been following a site called Nektony that has nothing to do with ClamXAV.

the only real connection between Nektony and ClamXAV is that Nektony is trying to sell you its own app for app removal.
Nektony tries to complicate app removal in order to sell its own software.

you want to go to ClamXAV's site and go to the this page ( https://www.clamxav.com/support/FAQs/ )
go to the bottom of this FAQ page and the last thing mentioned and provided is the link to download the ClamXAV uninstaller.

sorry that ClamXAV didn't work out for you. its been my go to main malware/virus scanner for years, since its very easy and light and is easily uninstalled if you use its own tool.

HTH
Thanks so much!

benshive

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2017
United States
I'm not familiar with this issue but for future reference there's an app called AppCleaner that you can downloaded for free that can remove any app and all files associated with it that wouldn't normally be removed by just deleting the .app file.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.