Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kirkbross

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 6, 2007
Los Angeles
Can you recommend a 3rd party case for the new Macbook Air that offers super duper impact protection like Otterboxes do for mobile devices?

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Style truly not being a concern, only drop protection; I would recommend something like a military tank. Alternatively one of those big boxes used when moving filled with bubble wrap around the Mac, with a layer of foam cushions around that.

• Love
Reactions: kirkbross

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Protection while using or while carrying? No case protects very well when you’re using the Air. I have used backpacks for my laptops for years and they have always provided excellent protection. Padding on all sides that protect against drops.

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
Can you recommend a 3rd party case for the new Macbook Air that offers super duper impact protection like Otterboxes do for mobile devices?

Chances are you won't find one. In order to have that level of protection, the case would have to be significantly larger than the laptop inside it, which defeats the purpose of having a thin and light laptop to begin with. Such a case would by necessity add both bulk and weight, and that may mean the difference between your bag of choice holding the laptop or having to go up a size or two to accommodate the laptop and its case.

Reactions: kirkbross and JPack

Eksoccer99

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2018
Here’s my setup.

3f5a7c06e9f2aad7dc0f20b635a6558c.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.