Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

squeeks

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 19, 2007
Florida
does the macbook air have a regular magsafe power plug or does it charge via software?

:D

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
Left side connector, facing downward. Standard MagSafe connector, but unless the computer's hanging over the edge of the table, I don't think a standard MB/MBP charger will work too well.

squeeks

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 19, 2007
Florida
Left side connector, facing downward. Standard MagSafe connector, but unless the computer's hanging over the edge of the table, I don't think a standard MB/MBP charger will work too well.

wait, hanging downwards? how the heck is that suppose to work?

philgilder

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
UK
features_gal01_20080115.jpg

does the macbook air have a regular magsafe power plug or does it charge via software?

:D
what was with the simley face :confused:

mckyvlle

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2007
London, UK
Ooh! Does the Air's MagSafe looks like it is more robust than the current MacBook(Pro)'s MagSafe? Looks like there is reinforcement on the cable as it enters the connector.

Too bad the Air's charger is only 45 watts.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
Does it have usb ports or do you plug things into another Mac and access them wirelessly?

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Interesting thing about the new Magsafe connector: notice the extra strain relief?

Would be nice if they did that on OUR magsafe chargers...

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
One thing I've been really confused on and nobody seems to know:

Does the MacBook Air levitate or do you have to set it down? If you have to set it down, there's no point in buying this thing. Also, I think the power should come to it wirelessly too, there's no need for cords anymore! Just plug a wireless charger into a nearby outlet and the MacBook Air sees it and beings to draw power from it. (The funny thing is, that might not be that far fetched in the future!)

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
One thing I've been really confused on and nobody seems to know:

Does the MacBook Air levitate or do you have to set it down? If you have to set it down, there's no point in buying this thing. Also, I think the power should come to it wirelessly too, there's no need for cords anymore! Just plug a wireless charger into a nearby outlet and the MacBook Air sees it and beings to draw power from it. (The funny thing is, that might not be that far fetched in the future!)

That can already be done. Just widely available. But, they do have a way to power light and stuff wirelessly. I just don't remember who it was working on it.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
There aren't any pictures of the brick yet, are they? Is it any smaller than previous Apple power adapters? 45W would suggest probably not, but.... The Apple adapters are CUTE, but once you get into this size class, they are a little bit on the big side.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
It runs on Apples. Granny Smith, not Golden or Red Delicious of course.
Just slice them extra thin, like the MBA and feed them one at a time into the optical drive slot. Hey wait a minute...

squeeks

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 19, 2007
Florida
well i thought so... but the rest of the replies were serious and the original poster seemed to reply seriously... :p

oh i was only asking seriously about the undermounted magsafe plug, i haddent seen that yet

they really should work on wireless charging though, that would be pretty sweet

Batt

macrumors 65816
Dec 17, 2007
Syracuse, NY
oh i was only asking seriously about the undermounted magsafe plug, i haddent seen that yet

they really should work on wireless charging though, that would be pretty sweet

Yeah, but if you stand between the MBA and the charger, it fries your naughty bits.;)

Marky_Mark

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2005
UK
Sorry, Apple won't provide that update for the MBP until they've removed all the other useful parts. :cool:

The charging software is very bulky. It's new technology which will shrink over time as it becomes more refined, but for now, its size roughly equals the sum total of the following:

1 x USB Port
1 x FW 400 Port
1 x FW 800 Port
1 x Audio In Port
1 x Express/34 Slot
1 x Ethernet Port
1 x Modem Port
2 x Battery Latches

If you can do without that lot, then you deserve the ability to recharge your battery by running some software, frankly. There must be some compensation... :rolleyes:

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
The charging software is very bulky. It's new technology which will shrink over time as it becomes more refined, but for now, its size roughly equals the sum total of the following:

1 x USB Port
1 x FW 400 Port
1 x FW 800 Port
1 x Audio In Port
1 x Express/34 Slot
1 x Ethernet Port
1 x Modem Port
2 x Battery Latches

If you can do without that lot, then you deserve the ability to recharge your battery by running some software, frankly. There must be some compensation... :rolleyes:

Oh, and you forgot to mention that it requires you to use a larger and slower PATA hard drive interface instead of the compact SATA which is faster and smaller.

And, it requires a smaller CPU which naturally is slower, but somehow more power efficient while delivering a shorter battery life.

Otherwise, I think you about got it :cool:

Now, if you can do without a monitor, I think you could get the new Apple exclusive palm charger. It absorbs energy from your palm. You just hold it in your hand, and instantly the battery is full of juice... Oh, wait a minute... Dirty mind... Just terrible :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.