Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rugbyboy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 24, 2002
London, UK
Ok, so I was thinking or ordering a Macbook Air which i will use as my primary machine (i surf the internet, write emails and docs in Word so horsepower is not a concern of mine)

However how will I tranfer the data from my old mac (an imac G5) to the new one? Does transfer assistant work wirelessly as I only thought it could do firewire transfer? wont it be hugely slow?

Any ideas?

Ben

waterskier2007

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2007
Novi, MI
im assuming that the air will come with some kind of software that will allow the assistant to work wirelessly

just speculation though

SteveSparks

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2008
St. Louis, MO.
However how will I tranfer the data from my old mac (an imac G5) to the new one? Does transfer assistant work wirelessly as I only thought it could do firewire transfer? wont it be hugely slow?

It works over wired or wireless network connection. You will need to install the new migration assistant from the MBA install disks.

DavoMrMac

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2005
Yes, this is the right info, there is a Wireless Migration Assistant to transfer your settings etc.

rugbyboy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 24, 2002
London, UK
Sloooow

Wireleesly would make sense but doesn't that mean, given my iMac is only g-wireless, that it'll take aaaages to et the 40GBS on my iMac over?

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Cool. Transfers through wireless. I wonder if it will work with the ethernet dongle which should be faster than wireless.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.