Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dubhe

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2007
Norwich, UK
Ok, still waiting. Phoned the store yesterday and they said they were waiting for an engineer to have a look at the hinge, I got the impression the genius' were a bit stuck on what to do. Hopefully this means they are unable to tighten and they are looking at replacing the screen (which they ordered when they took my MBA in, it is on the repair receipt).

Being a bank holiday weekend in the UK it will be at least Tuesday now before I got my MBA back as I am away. I dug out my old PB12 from the loft and am typing on it now, so glad I kept hold of it, over five years old and still going strong!

I am thinking about this hinge issue seriously though, is it a design fault or just a QC problem that can be fixed by application of a new screen by a careful apple store genius?

If it is a design fault should I be selling my MBA once it is back and whilst it is still in warranty (I only bought my MBA in February) and in a very good condition? I would hate to have it fail again out of warranty (I don't buy applecare as I have that many Macs it works out cheaper to take the risk and if required sell on eBay as spares/repair and buy a new one).

spacecadet610

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2006
Had a broken hinge on my rev A this week.

It just happened randomly.

Took it to the Applestore Tuesday morning and then gave it back to me fixed later that night.

GeekGirl*

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2009
Buffalo, NY
My first refurb. A came with a screen that with almost no touch closed itself.
The replacement was great(also the fan did not work).

dubhe

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2007
Norwich, UK
Got my MBA back today with a new screen, took them over a week apparently because the first replacement they fitted the iSight didn't work so they had to order another one in.

Hinge is wobble free now but I am still worried it might do it again, going to give it a couple of weeks then I might just sell it and buy a MBP...

For info, the screen cost £233 + VAT (£267.95) and Hardware repair level 1 cost £40 + VAT (£46). All covered by the warranty no problems.

That's a total of $475 including VAT using today's exchange rates.

Screen is a 9C90.

mykoljay

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2008
Anyone have any luck with getting repaired for free out of warranty? Mine didn't break yet, but it's starting to develop the slop.

mykoljay

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2008
How amusing that a google ad had popped up in between posts for 'Laptop Hinge Issues' directing to the class action lawsuit at http://www.sfmslaw.com.

It comes up when you're not logged into the forum.

SLCentral

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2004
Princeton, NJ/Ithaca, NY
Did you read the previous post? Absolutely NOT :p

Actually, you're mistaken. A couple of people in this thread, including myself, have gotten the hinge repaired out of warranty. I brought my Rev. A in one month after my warranty ended, and they fixed it with little to no hassle. Had a brand new top casing (including new screen) within 24 hours, and $0 out of my pocket.

three

Cancelled
Jan 22, 2008
My friends MacBook Air has developed this problem a couple months ago and it has just of gotten worse and worse to the point that the screen is about ready to fall off the hinge.

dubhe

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2007
Norwich, UK
My friends MacBook Air has developed this problem a couple months ago and it has just of gotten worse and worse to the point that the screen is about ready to fall off the hinge.

Take it in quick! They can log it against the serial number, then if it does break your friend can show it was something that gradually got worse, not the result of misuse.

three

Cancelled
Jan 22, 2008
My friend called Apple and they replaced the screen and the hinge for free. I was surprised they didn't charge her for it.

herminette

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2009
MBA - hinge broken - 2nd time!!!!

i just posted this on apple's website in reply to a thread about the mba hinge and they removed it! i was wondering why everyone was praising apple!
i bought my air when it first came out. a few months ago my hinge started making crackling sounds and then like everyone elses the guts came out. took it in - was turned away by the apple store (unless i wanted to pay $900 - they said it was abuse) then went to an authorized dealer and they said the repair would cost $800. they told me to call apple and try to convince them to comp it. i called and they finally did agree to comp the repair after telling me how generous they were being. they replaced the entire monitor piece. now, about 2 months after i got it back - the hinge is crunching again!!! and loose!! they made it VERY clear that it was a one time only comp. what now?? i have been a loyal mac customer for more than 15 years.
hate to say it but we need a lawyer.

hodgeheg

macrumors regular
Dec 7, 2008
Actually, you're mistaken. A couple of people in this thread, including myself, have gotten the hinge repaired out of warranty. I brought my Rev. A in one month after my warranty ended, and they fixed it with little to no hassle. Had a brand new top casing (including new screen) within 24 hours, and $0 out of my pocket.

I couldn't even get this repaired under warranty on a three month old machine with AppleCare. The Manchester Arndale Store "Geniuses" told me all MacBook Airs have floppy hinges and this is intentional design and thus impossible to fix because it wasn't broken. They also told me my machine must have been like this from new, despite my obvious protestations. This would be one reason why wild horses wouldn't drag me back in there!

So well done/good for you finding a decent service response! I wish I'd been able to print this thread off and take it into the store when I had this problem. I might still have an Air!

xerenthar

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2008
I couldn't even get this repaired under warranty on a three month old machine with AppleCare. The Manchester Arndale Store "Geniuses" told me all MacBook Airs have floppy hinges and this is intentional design and thus impossible to fix because it wasn't broken. They also told me my machine must have been like this from new, despite my obvious protestations. This would be one reason why wild horses wouldn't drag me back in there!

So well done/good for you finding a decent service response! I wish I'd been able to print this thread off and take it into the store when I had this problem. I might still have an Air!
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/714989/

uberamd

macrumors 68030
May 26, 2009
Minnesota
Same here.

Of all the laptops I have seen, only IBM has an hinge which stays strong for long time.

My classic Macbook Pro hinge is incredibly sturdy. Feels just like the day I got it (and its 1.25 years old). My Air is easy to close, but I wouldn't call it lose. The thing is only 1.5 months old however. I close it VERY carefully because it feels fragile.

GeeYouEye

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2001
State of Denial
My left hinge broke on my PB G4 15". It's $20 ($30 if you don't have the right screwdrivers already) and about 3 hours to repair. Do it yourself. ifixit.com's display replacement guides are fantastic for hinge problems.

jaykk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2002
CA
I got it replaced out of warrenty

I have a Rev A macbook air, which is showing the hinge problem. I took it to Gilbert, AZ store, they are getting it repaired for $0. I bought it almost 18 months ago, and I didn't have apple care. I will get it within a week or so.

(sorry to revive an old thread, its the thread linked from apple forums).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.