Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Datkidwizzi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 14, 2022
Hello! I just got a MacBook air but I'm having a problem and there is literally no answer anywhere on the internet to my problem, so i thought i would join a forum and see if anybody in the world has ever had this problem-- when my battery goes lower than 80% the laptop slows down so much and it keeps getting worse for every percent drop that you would think it only has 10kb of ram, as soon as I plug it in, the laptop runs normally within 2 seconds. What could be the problem? I don't think it's the battery cause i can use it for almost an hour from 100% to 80%

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
What does your System Information show, under the power tab, for battery health information:
What is the Full Charge Capacity?
How many charge cycles (Cycle count) are reported for the battery in that same Power tab?
What is the Condition reported there?

bontempi

macrumors member
May 14, 2008
check your hard drive or ssd to see if it's full. keep at least 20gb free, if not performance will degrade. not sure a battery percentage has anything to do with performance

Reactions: Datkidwizzi

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
Bit more information required here regarding age and specific model. To a certain extent we're p*ssing in the dark until you tell us.
I get the feeling it's not a new one at least, otherwise you would return it as faulty.

Datkidwizzi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 14, 2022
Bit more information required here regarding age and specific model. To a certain extent we're p*ssing in the dark until you tell us.
I get the feeling it's not a new one at least, otherwise you would return it as faulty.
I'm sorry, i did not see the replies earlier but the model and age is on the title, and no, it's not brand new, obviously it's from early 2015

Datkidwizzi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 14, 2022
check your hard drive or ssd to see if it's full. keep at least 20gb free, if not performance will degrade. not sure a battery percentage has anything to do with performance
I have 91gb available out of 121 on my hard drive. Yeah it's really weird that's why I haven't found anybody with this problem before-- Performance drops as soon as it hits 80%

Datkidwizzi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 14, 2022
What does your System Information show, under the power tab, for battery health information:
What is the Full Charge Capacity?
How many charge cycles (Cycle count) are reported for the battery in that same Power tab?
What is the Condition reported there?
Thank you for the reply.
Full charge capacity = 6194(mAh).
Cycle count = 89
Condition = normal

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Yes, likely some marginal cells in the battery. When the charge drops below a certain point, then you must get a voltage drop, which would certainly affect the performance. Plug the power adapter in, and then in a few seconds that output voltage returns to a better value, and performance returns with that.
I think your next step is to replace the battery. That battery (same replacement battery for any 2010 to 2017 13-inch MBAir) is mostly easy, and only takes about 15 minutes. There's none of the prying around, and no adhesives to dissolve like you might find in many MacBook Pro battery replacements.
Same battery that I purchased almost a year ago -
(That battery order surprised me with a free keyboard protector!)

Reactions: Datkidwizzi

Datkidwizzi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 14, 2022
Yes, likely some marginal cells in the battery. When the charge drops below a certain point, then you must get a voltage drop, which would certainly affect the performance. Plug the power adapter in, and then in a few seconds that output voltage returns to a better value, and performance returns with that.
I think your next step is to replace the battery. That battery (same replacement battery for any 2010 to 2017 13-inch MBAir) is mostly easy, and only takes about 15 minutes. There's none of the prying around, and no adhesives to dissolve like you might find in many MacBook Pro battery replacements.
Same battery that I purchased almost a year ago -
(That battery order surprised me with a free keyboard protector!)
Thank you so much

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.