Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bloodycape

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2005
California
The problem is the "MORE POWER" mentality. Even though they never use more than 2 GB of RAM, they're convinced they need more power than the MBA could provide.

I believe the newest MBA would probably be 5x more popular if it had a 4 GB RAM option...

I am willing to pay the money for RAM and money for 256 GB SSD, I just wish they would give us the options no matter how much it costs. I would pay an extra $2k for 256 GB SSD and 8 GB of RAM.

How is it that the MBA supports only a max of 2gb of ram, when other intel machines with the same SL line cpu, and even same specs as the MBA rev a. support 4gb of ram?? Hell, I think in Japan the Sony Vaio TT with the lower power SU9x00 line of intel CPU supports a max of 8gb of ram. IMHO 2gb or ram is a bit low these days. 3gb should be standard these days(on a 32bit system), and is a good way to future proof a bit. Besides, 4gb on a 32bit os is a little pointless as the max it can use and really support is 3gb. Now on 64bit os I can see possibly for the need for 4gb, I guess.

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
How is it that the MBA supports only a max of 2gb of ram, when other intel machines with the same SL line cpu, and even same specs as the MBA rev a. support 4gb of ram?? Hell, I think in Japan the Sony Vaio TT with the lower power SU9x00 line of intel CPU supports a max of 8gb of ram. IMHO 2gb or ram is a bit low these days. 3gb should be standard these days(on a 32bit system), and is a good way to future proof a bit. Besides, 4gb on a 32bit os is a little pointless as the max it can use and really support is 3gb. Now on 64bit os I can see possibly for the need for 4gb, I guess.

Because the RAM is soldered on to the logic board. The chipset will support 8 GB RAM like everything else, but it's not a task that anyone will undertake--desoldering 8 chips and resoldering 8 new chips. I'd be thoroughly shocked if Apple didn't at least have an option for 4GB in the next Air revision. And in all honesty, I was shocked Rev C didn't have 4GB (at least in the top end model)

colourfastt

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2009
I have a previous gen 15" MBP (and I LOVE the specs) but decided to go buy an Air because I thought they were cute. The MBP hasn't come out of its backpack since ... LOVE the Air .. one of Apple's best ideas.

Rusalka

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2008
Northern Virginia
Four years for a laptop?

I'd like to put this in perspective just so I heard you correctly.

Exactly 4 years ago today, Apple's Fastest Notebook was a 1.67 Ghz SINGLE PROCESSOR G4 PowerBook. It was running Mac OSX 10.3 (panther) and only had 128Mbs of video ram w/ an 80GB hard drive.

Now that machine is 4 years ago today an was discontinued in January of 2006 when the MacBook Pro was released. I can't image owning a computer that long.

Hey! My Mom uses the G4! And it was going strong till about last week, when the screen went kaput

ob81

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2007
Virginia Beach
It had nothing to do with the power. It was always the price. The MBA is a ripoff, or at least it was. The mentality was why pay more for less? Apple had it wrong. The plan worked for people like the op that run around trying to sell computers for Apple, but normal users didn't fall for it.

The op had some great experiences with his laptop, but my experience has bene completely different. Limiting myself for no real decrease in footprint seems a bit ridiculous. The Air is a neat little computer, and if it was 10" or so, it would be a lot more realistic.

Santabean2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2007
Four years for a laptop?

I'd like to put this in perspective just so I heard you correctly.

Exactly 4 years ago today, Apple's Fastest Notebook was a 1.67 Ghz SINGLE PROCESSOR G4 PowerBook. It was running Mac OSX 10.3 (panther) and only had 128Mbs of video ram w/ an 80GB hard drive.

Now that machine is 4 years ago today an was discontinued in January of 2006 when the MacBook Pro was released. I can't image owning a computer that long.

Clearly you've never had to live without much cash.

For all those who a computer does not come with their job most of them only upgrade their computer when it's dead or dying.

mackhydr4

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2009
I have both an Air and a MBP 13"!
Got the MBP first and it is brilliant but I am a sucker for design so when I got a good offer on a Rev B Air with SSD i bought it.

I think Scottsdale are right when he say's that people are power-focused. I know it from my self. I study business and law and therefore no need for video/picture editing what so ever, and the 2 GB of ram in my MBP is doing all I need smoothly. Still, it was hard to decide wether to go with the 13" or the 15" since the 15" had 4 gb ram, and a bigger hdd and so on - well knowing that 2 GB of ram would do all I need.

Therefore, both the Air and the MBP are perfect machines for me - I need to surf the web in order to pic up assignments and notes from classes and I need Office to take same notes myself. So for everyone not being in the design/creative business I think the Air would be just a good a match as the MBP, it just comes down to preferences.

For all those who a computer does not come with their job most of them only upgrade their computer when it's dead or dying.

If you ask your accountant, you'll find that to stay competitive in the job market, you need to train yourself (since many companies tend to not do this for you). This includes purchasing your own hardware and software. There are hardly any jobs nowadays that do not require some sort of computer skill or knowledge.

star-fish

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2009
If you ask your accountant, you'll find that to stay competitive in the job market, you need to train yourself (since many companies tend to not do this for you). This includes purchasing your own hardware and software. There are hardly any jobs nowadays that do not require some sort of computer skill or knowledge.

My job involves working with computers all day long and requiring in-depth knowledge of the latest Apple, Adobe and HP hardware and software. In my spare time I also do a lot of web development including design and coding.

However, I have a 4yr old laptop and 6yr old desktop at home. I've never needed to buy or upgrade anything other than Photoshop. Everything else I need there's a decent free version of, and the people I work with, my company and Google provide everything else I need to know.

I could buy all-new stuff, I'm not against it, but for me and a million Average Joes out there, buying the latest stuff every 6 months (or even yearly) is generally unnecessary.

And more generally related to the post: it's not just about power or price. My dad and sister were in raptures over the Air in a store until I told them it had no optical drive, at which point they rapidly moved on :rolleyes: I didn't even have to tell them about the stupid lid design with weak, irreplaceable hinges that many have battled to get Apple to replace.

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004

Another reason to upgrade is that you can get a tax break if you are using it for a business. My Aunt would upgrade every 3-4 years simply because she had fully depreciated her old machine. So she'd buy a new laptop and desktop and retire the old equipment.

Of course, she was a sole proprietor. For a large print shop, the costs are more significant, and you have to think about software costs as well. Office is pretty minimal and will run on pretty much any hardware.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
I bought 2.13 MBA SSD to replace my late 2008 15"MBP. I used it for a week before I returned it. No doubt it was powerful and fast enough for everything I did. I loved the lightweight and the size. It was so easy to carry around. The only thing that really got me was the screen that was a little too small for my old eyes. :(:(:(:(:(

Okay, but not quite the argument we are debating as you need a 15" display or larger. Neither the 13" Pro or Air wouldn't work for you. Hopefully there will be a 15" MBA or MB around the corner.

rotorblade69

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2006
North West Georgia
Okay, but not quite the argument we are debating as you need a 15" display or larger. Neither the 13" Pro or Air wouldn't work for you. Hopefully there will be a 15" MBA or MB around the corner.

I agree with everything you say about the air Scottsdale.

AND a 15" MBA would be the MO Shizzle Fizzle.

I really think the air is a science experiment and they are just testing the waters for future designs.

GeekGirl*

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2009
Buffalo, NY
Most people have no use for a Air, I loved mine but always wanted more from it so switched to a pro, the Air really is a overpriced netbook, sorry to say.my Acer one is quieter , longer battery life and cheaper.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.