Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AniNOW

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2019
Germany
THIS IS THE 2ND TIME AROUND, since I'm new at this site and don't know much about navigating to find the answers.

My Problem: I lost or miss placed my MacBook Air sale's slip. Apple will not do anything to help me because of that. But, I'm lock out, and I've tried anything and everything I've searched on the web to no avail. Is there anyone out there that has the knowhow and skill to hack and unlock my laptop?

Every time I boot up, it goes to the padlock window. I need a key to unlock it. Has anyone had this problem and has fixed it? Let me know...

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
If you cannot prove your ownership, then apple will not help you out and there's really no way to circumvent the security

AniNOW

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2019
Germany
It not only locked me out of my computer, but also my iPad. They were both presents from my kids. They don't have the sale's slips.

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
Not sure how your Macbook's firmware password and iPad's iCloud password are related. Your story doesn't sound complete.

Anyway, give both devices back to the original owners (your kids) and tell them to go to an Apple store with ID (eg. passport) and get them unlocked. The serial numbers of the devices will give the purchaser's name, and the ID will prove that the purchaser is the person standing in front of them.

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Not sure how your Macbook's firmware password and iPad's iCloud password are related. Your story doesn't sound complete.

Anyway, give both devices back to the original owners (your kids) and tell them to go to an Apple store with ID (eg. passport) and get them unlocked. The serial numbers of the devices will give the purchaser's name, and the ID will prove that the purchaser is the person standing in front of them.
I don't know about the rest of the world but, when I purchase Apple products in Canada, Apple does not have the name of the purchaser unless the product came directly from Apple. Apple warranties in Canada are honoured according to the serial number rather than the purchaser. In fact, when I have issues with a used product, I was able to receive warranty service without even providing ID.

Reactions: Apple_Robert

AniNOW

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2019
Germany

It can't go back to the kids, they live in the State, I live in Europe
[doublepost=1554565374][/doublepost]
How did you get locked out of the iPad? The iPad doesn't have a EFI password option, only iCloud and passcode.

I lost the pw. It's wife's not mine.

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
I don't know about the rest of the world but, when I purchase Apple products in Canada, Apple does not have the name of the purchaser unless the product came directly from Apple. Apple warranties in Canada are honoured according to the serial number rather than the purchaser. In fact, when I have issues with a used product, I was able to receive warranty service without even providing ID.
I'm not talking about warranty service, but specifically on getting Apple to unlock the devices (bypass the firmware and iCloud locks respectively). You're probably right though; if the device wasn't bought directly from apple then it may be hard to prove ownership to the level required. I've only bought Apple stuff direct from Apple so am not sure if devices bought elsewhere can be registered with Apple and with that registration being enough to count as proof of ownership.

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I'm not talking about warranty service, but specifically on getting Apple to unlock the devices (bypass the firmware and iCloud locks respectively). You're probably right though; if the device wasn't bought directly from apple then it may be hard to prove ownership to the level required. I've only bought Apple stuff direct from Apple so am not sure if devices bought elsewhere can be registered with Apple and with that registration being enough to count as proof of ownership.
I have purchased several new and used Apple products and I have never had Apple register any of them in my name. In fact, I wouldn't even know how to do it. I doubt registration would constitute ownership in their eyes without taking the MacBook and proof of purchase to an apple store for verification.

Reactions: adrianlondon

Peepo

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2009
It can't go back to the kids, they live in the State, I live in Europe
[doublepost=1554565374][/doublepost]

I lost the pw. It's wife's not mine.

What exactly do you mean by this? You lost the passcode to unlock the iPad or you lost the iCloud password on iPad (your wife's).

You need to get your wife to login to her iCloud on web and remove it using these instructions https://help.apple.com/icloud/?lang=en-us#mm25565a6496

Then you can factory reset it not requiring her iCloud account any longer.

As far as your MacBook, did you sign in to your iCloud account on it? If it is setup on your iCloud account then you could use that to prove ownership possibly. If it is on your wife's she would have to make the claim. Also try pressing CMD-R on startup and see if you can remove the password. It may be something she set - did you ask her? Maybe it is same as iCloud password since some people like reusing passwords.

The reason why Apple does not want to unlock devices without proof of ownership is because of stolen devices. If you can show that the device is on an Apple ID which you have control over then that may convince them. You also may have to bring into an Apple Store to resolve in person.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.