Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

froznkhemistry

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 6, 2009
Um... if I understand you correctly, you can just install, after its done, just do a hard shut down (hold down the power button). Then when its turned on next, it'll show the "Welcome to mac OSX" window or whatever it is.

Oh cool, never thought it would do that. Thanks. So I just remote install it, and then when the welcome thing appears, I force shut down. And it will appear again? If so, thanks. :)

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
I've created a small youtube video of what gameplay sorta looks like on the Air.

I have running Windows 7 Ultimate, 32-bit Edition, build 7600 (RTM). Only have 1 Firefox (1 tab) window, AIM and iTunes running in the background, then GTA4 of course.

Ignore the ending, my iPhone started slipping off my hand lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_hThAS7sRE

Mintin8

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2009
United Kingdom
I've created a small youtube video of what gameplay sorta looks like on the Air.

I have running Windows 7 Ultimate, 32-bit Edition, build 7600 (RTM). Only have 1 Firefox (1 tab) window, AIM and iTunes running in the background, then GTA4 of course.

Ignore the ending, my iPhone started slipping off my hand lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_hThAS7sRE

Awesome, do you think you could do that for css/tf2 if its not that much of a bother.

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
Is it not possible to download the .iso from the CD and then play it from your HDD?

You create an ISO from the CD but some disks have copy protection which makes it even with an ISO, you can't run the game, you can only install it.

Awesome, do you think you could do that for css/tf2 if its not that much of a bother.

Here's CS:S

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncRF0HKSETk

Stress Test shows near 50FPS with All High + 2x AA and 2x AF running at 1280x800. Did this test under battery (Balanced setting) mode.

gman901

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2007
Houston, TX
Ayeing, that's damn impressive to me! What resolution did you play it in? Also, what patch did you use? I think I used 1.4 version for the game. Considering all the things I have heard about GTA4 running on any machine, the fact that it is even playable on an Air seems amazing to me. I was just wondering, are there any other Window machines that try to compete with the Air in terms of size, quality and style that can play this game similar to the Air? Maybe this is the first example of when an Apple laptop beats a comparable Windows machine in gaming!:p

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
Ayeing, that's damn impressive to me! What resolution did you play it in? Also, what patch did you use? I think I used 1.4 version for the game. Considering all the things I have heard about GTA4 running on any machine, the fact that it is even playable on an Air seems amazing to me. I was just wondering, are there any other Window machines that try to compete with the Air in terms of size, quality and style that can play this game similar to the Air? Maybe this is the first example of when an Apple laptop beats a comparable Windows machine in gaming!:p

I'm running at 800x600 with everything low or off... lol. Its 1.4. I'm still arguing with Microsoft cause I keep having a "Exceeded Product Key" issue just because I changed like 5 laptops in a year trying to find the perfect match.

gman901

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2007
Houston, TX
Cool! I am installing it now on XP. I may try version 1.3 first. I had to uninstall a lot of crap first to free up 16 gb of space! I will let you know if it runs well.

Ace134blue

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2009
Hey guys, I'm new here and I just got a Macbook Air as a totally unpredicted thank you present ( I was a ring bearer for a couple's wedding ). So I already had a Macbook Pro Early 2008 Perynn, with Bootcamp. I used bootcamp to game, and as you might have guessed, my graphics card was not the best, with a Nvidia GeForce 8800gt. This new Macbook Air I got has a Nvidia Geforce 9400gt, and I want to use bootcamp on it.

I've already tried using Winclone from my MPB and transferring it via external hard drive to my Air, failing, since the WinClone file must be restored on the computer you made it, I guess. So I decided to just fresh install Vista.

I tried to CD share with my MPB, and I guess that doesn't work either, since from what I've searched on google, theres a copy barrier thing. :mad:

I weighed my chances and I guess I could ask for an early birthday present or save up for a SuperDrive, but then I realized, if I use the Superdrive, I would need to play games on my Windows. So how would I do that if either:

1. I'm using the single USB slot for my mouse, to play the game, but for games like Call of Duty 4 and GTA 4, you need the CD to play. There would only be one USB slot, and the SuperDrive doesn't work with USB hubs. I'm stuck again. :(

2. Another way is to use the single USB slot for my SuperDrive and be able to run the game, but I won't be able to use my mouse, and you can't play FPS without a mouse.

I've realized I have two choices again, and I wanted to either 1.Run games using CD sharing (if you can, thats what I need you guys to answer), and I would only need the SuperDrive for installing bootcamp, this would save me money. or 2. Buy a mouse using bluetooth, or a mouse using a wireless network without a transceiver (if that's possible, since the transceiver would take up USB space). If so, can you guys recommend a cheap one for me? I don't want a fancy one, just one that can operate using bluetooth, or that wireless thing.

Thanks in advance for the help. I hope this computer will come to good use. :)

P.S I'm not selling it on eBay, it's a gift, although free 1,400 would be nice, I can't.

ALL you people need to use your brain lol :D. Once you open the game and it detects that the cd is in it, you don't need it anymore. you can disconnect the super drive and your done. The only purpose of the cd is to first install the data on the drive and two to see if your an owner of the game and its not an illegal copy.

So first you put the cd in the super drive then you launch the game, after that disconnect it and put in your mouse.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.