Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Syndawg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2016
Herro! I know these kinds of questions have been asked countless times, but I can't find anything exactly for my issue. I had my computer in my bathroom (yes, mistake #1 - spare me the hate) and it was quite humid in there cos the bathtub was filled and all. I might have touched the computer with slightly wet hands, but only minimal amounts of water can have gotten on the computer. Anyway, I was trying to use computer and it froze so I closed it to see if it helped. Once I opened again it was black and nothing happened when I tried to turn it on (mind you, I didn't think it could be water damage! I know u don't do that in case u spill a glass of water on it). The light comes on when I connect to charger (again, didn't think it was water damage), but except from that nothing happens. Tried to open the back, but 4 of the 10 screws are so hardly screwed in there I had no way of getting them out (I only managed to strip the screws - yay!).

Anyone experienced this before? Will it turn on again? Let the miniscule water dry? I'm confused and a little annoyed!

Peace.

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
If you press the Caps Lock key, does it light up? Does the keyboard backlight work? How long has it been since you removed the computer from the bathroom?

Have you tried to hold the power button for an extended period, to see if it will restart?

If that doesn't work, try to reset the SMC - https://support.apple.com/HT201295

Do NOT try to open the computer. Once you had it open, what do you think you could accomplish?

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
mind you, I didn't think it could be water damage! I know u don't do that in case u spill a glass of water on it
Humidity is water. If it's a moisture issue then always cut power until the device is fully dry. Do not power on a device if you suspect moisture to be a problem as it can cause more damage.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
Sounds a lot like water damage. I don't know what you define as "humidity", but I keep my studio around 40-50% humidity in the winter since I have a vintage acoustic guitar on a stand. In the summer, even with the airconditioning on, humidity gets even higher. Never any problems with my MBA for the past 5 years.

But a steamy bathroom could result in water droplets getting inside the computer.

DesignerOnMac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2007
Herro! I know these kinds of questions have been asked countless times, but I can't find anything exactly for my issue. I had my computer in my bathroom (yes, mistake #1 - spare me the hate) and it was quite humid in there cos the bathtub was filled and all. I might have touched the computer with slightly wet hands, but only minimal amounts of water can have gotten on the computer. Anyway, I was trying to use computer and it froze so I closed it to see if it helped. Once I opened again it was black and nothing happened when I tried to turn it on (mind you, I didn't think it could be water damage! I know u don't do that in case u spill a glass of water on it). The light comes on when I connect to charger (again, didn't think it was water damage), but except from that nothing happens. Tried to open the back, but 4 of the 10 screws are so hardly screwed in there I had no way of getting them out (I only managed to strip the screws - yay!).

Anyone experienced this before? Will it turn on again? Let the miniscule water dry? I'm confused and a little annoyed!

Peace.

I live on the Equator. It is the rainy season here. Humidity is around 90% on cloudy days. My MBA runs everyday, 12-18 hours will no issues. MBA is almost 3 years old also.

Sounds more humidity is your problem.

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
The problem with humidity tends to be condensation. Vapor and droplets become drips and drops. Per the MBA's tech specs:
Relative humidity: 0% to 90% noncondensing
If you bring a cold object with a lot of metal components into a hot, humid environment, beads of moisture are likely to form, quite quickly.

Reactions: CreatorCode

Argielo

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2017
Hi Syndawg, almost the same thing happened to me. When I opened my macbook, i noticed that moisture is present in the screen and keyboard. I just wiped it off then used it after a while. It opened the first time but noticed that the keyboard is not functioning well. So I restarted it but it didn't work. Tried to clear SMC but this time, it didn't open at all. Were you able to fix your machine? What did you do? Someone please help. Thanks.

Other info: I just upgraded to Sierra from El. Capitan. Bit of a late adopter.

Peace.

Dszenczy

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2018
I have this same issue. Just moved to a house close to the beach, and the humidity and salt air are definitely the cause. Every time I bring the MacBook into the Apple store it starts working again because of the AC and low humidity.They checked it out and everything hardware is perfectly fine with no water damage whatsoever. It is a shame Apple has no resolution and are not even aware of this issue. My only option is to buy a new laptop and hope the newer MacBooks don’t have this issue.

JohnnyDeltorro

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2018
I have this same issue. Just moved to a house close to the beach, and the humidity and salt air are definitely the cause. Every time I bring the MacBook into the Apple store it starts working again because of the AC and low humidity.They checked it out and everything hardware is perfectly fine with no water damage whatsoever. It is a shame Apple has no resolution and are not even aware of this issue. My only option is to buy a new laptop and hope the newer MacBooks don’t have this issue.

I have the 2017 Macbook Pro (with expanded drive and touchbar) I do not have a humidity issue as much as my wife's 2015 Macbook Pro does. We lived in a dry area before moving to the tropics (Costa Rica) and it makes her computer shut down. Even if it is off, the humidity prevents the computer from even turning on. We are extra careful now and only use it with the ac, but every once and a while we have to travel to another location (carrying it in a laptop bag) and it happens all over again.

Be cautious of Macbook Pro's especially the older models. It seems that they may have fixed some issues on the newer ones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.