Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alansmallen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
Hey guys. I got a MacBook Air yesterday and immediately put it to charge. It came with 0 percent battery and took about 6 hours to charge. I then used it to about half capacity and am charging it now. It's also saying it's gonna take 7 or so hours. Is this normal?

Gadgetman99

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2009
I woud say it is. The MBA charger is only 45 watt, so it takes quite awhile to charge. Once you have discharged and charged it a few times, it will develop it's normal battery life.

Gadgetman99

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2009
And another question, can I use my MacBook Pro charger on the Air?

Some do, and some say it makes the battery "swell". Seems kinda strange to me, but I guess anything is possible. I don't think I would because the voltage is significantly different (2-3 volts I believe?).

alansmallen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
Some do, and some say it makes the battery "swell". Seems kinda strange to me, but I guess anything is possible. I don't think I would because the voltage is significantly different (2-3 volts I believe?).

But I once heard that the 85w MBP charger "downscales" itself. Didn't know if that was true or not

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
Yep. Last charge took just over 6 hours and this one is on turn to take about the same.

What Rev is your air? The only thing I can think of is that my old Rev A had this type of charge for the first 100 or so cycles, then it got faster on charging. I noticed the same effect on my current Rev C that I bought 4 months ago, I'm at 311 cycles and I recharge within 2 hours from 0 to 100% now when it usually took about 3-4 hours before.

tsubikiddo

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2008
Melbourne, AUS
Yep. Last charge took just over 6 hours and this one is on turn to take about the same.

wooo... that's a little bit lengthy
I remember that my initial charge took about the same time,
though I was too excited to wait till the machine is fully charged and start using (i.e. playing) around with it

from the next charge onward till now, it's mostly 1hr to 80%, and another 1-2hrs for the final 20%.

have you called the apple hotline or bring it in and talk to the Genius ?

alansmallen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
What Rev is your air? The only thing I can think of is that my old Rev A had this type of charge for the first 100 or so cycles, then it got faster on charging. I noticed the same effect on my current Rev C that I bought 4 months ago, I'm at 311 cycles and I recharge within 2 hours from 0 to 100% now when it usually took about 3-4 hours before.
It's a rev b
wooo... that's a little bit lengthy
I remember that my initial charge took about the same time,
though I was too excited to wait till the machine is fully charged and start using (i.e. playing) around with it

from the next charge onward till now, it's mostly 1hr to 80%, and another 1-2hrs for the final 20%.

have you called the apple hotline or bring it in and talk to the Genius ?

I'm playing with it at the same time also. Hpefully that's the issue

tsubikiddo

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2008
Melbourne, AUS
It's a rev b

I'm playing with it at the same time also. Hpefully that's the issue

IF I were you, I would never hold myself back from bringing the MBA back into the Apple Store and have a few chit-chats with the Genuis
after all, you jsut got it yesterday, this is the golden prime time to get everything right and all the minor glitches and issues out of the window before more bugs kick in and your consumer protection power starts fading away

just my 2cents,
you paid the full price,
you deserve nothing less than the full performance and user experience
(whoops, that includes the fixing and warranty part as well:p)

alansmallen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
IF I were you, I would never hold myself back from bringing the MBA back into the Apple Store and have a few chit-chats with the Genuis
after all, you jsut got it yesterday, this is the golden prime time to get everything right and all the minor glitches and issues out of the window before more bugs kick in and your consumer protection power starts fading away

just my 2cents,
you paid the full price,
you deserve nothing less than the full performance and user experience
(whoops, that includes the fixing and warranty part as well:p)

A) I bought it used but sealed so I can't return it
B) It's still covered under warranty

I'm going into the Apple store tomorrow to pick up a repair so I'll ask.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
A brand new MBA takes some time to charge. Within a few weeks, it goes down to around three hours or so. I would advise you NOT to use an MBP charger. It could make the battery swell. In addition, it does NOT charge any faster from my own experiments of charging an MBA.

Enjoy your new MBA.

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
Here's a screenshot of my battery charging, starting at 16% and time remaining reported by the OS. I think your 6 Hours could be a little long compared to mine... If I were you, I'd try charging/recharging a few times, after maybe like the 15-20 cycles it still doesn't improve, then I'd head over to Apple.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2009-10-18 at 9.30.21 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2009-10-18 at 9.30.21 PM.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 108

fluffyx

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2007
MacBook Airs take FOREVER to charge. You're not alone.

And it is 100% fine to use a MacBook or MacBook Pro adapter to charge a MacBook Air. It will NOT cause any damage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.