Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kdr444

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2019
Hello everyone!

I am new to the forum and was wondering if you could help me out.

I was recently gifted a pair of Sony WH1000xM3. I would like to pair it with my iPhone 8Plus and my Macbook Air (2017, running OS 10.14.3). I've looked through the Sony guides and forums and it says that these headphones can be paired with two devices (as stated in the Sony guide: one device for music playback (A2DP connection) and the other for talking (HFP/HSP connection). However, I have to disconnect and reconnect if I want to switch devices.

Anyone have the 1000xM3s and have any advice for how to connect them to two devices?

Thanks!

Chrysaor

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2006
That's a known issue with Sony's. It can be paired with multiple devices but it can only be connected to one device at a time. You need to disconnect and then connect to a different device manually.

kdr444

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2019
Gotcha. I wasn't sure if there was a way to change the bluetooth profiles to make it work the way we want it to.

Chrysaor

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2006
This is the one issue that is preventing me from buying these headphones, which are the best in every other category.

I have MDR100ABN with the same behavior and having to connect/disconnect gets very annoying if you have multiple devices. You have to find which device has it connected to disconnect first, and Macbooks can keep the BT connection even if lid is closed and device is sleeping.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.