Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gerabbi

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2009
Is it just my macbook air that is slow gets really hot fans start blowing and it stutters during any kind of videos i already had the logic board switched out and it is still tripping out i want to throw it against the wall !!!!!:mad:

Coolbook might be your solution.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
Is it just my macbook air that is slow gets really hot fans start blowing and it stutters during any kind of videos i already had the logic board switched out and it is still tripping out i want to throw it against the wall !!!!!:mad:

So it's a 1.6 GHz. Is it also an 80 GB HDD? An Intel graphics system? Is it an original MBA and you're just now experiencing this? Has it always been fine before?

maceleven

macrumors 6502
Original poster
So it's a 1.6 GHz. Is it also an 80 GB HDD? An Intel graphics system? Is it an original MBA and you're just now experiencing this? Has it always been fine before?
Almost since i have owned this crap just took it in about a month ago got it back they switched out the logic and amy screen Lcd , The genius noticed it was wack and not working properly , but its really stutters alot when ever i am watching any videos MTV you tube .

Is this normal ?

Should i declare it a Lemon and have it replaced?

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
Almost since i have owned this crap just took it in about a month ago got it back they switched out the logic and amy screen Lcd , The genius noticed it was wack and not working properly , but its really stutters alot when ever i am watching any videos MTV you tube .

Is this normal ?

Should i declare it a Lemon and have it replaced?

If it's an original MBA, 1.6, Intel graphics, 667 MHz RAM, 64 GB SSD or 80 GB HDD, that's just the way they have always been... I bought an original and it was junk. I used other originals that were junk.

You need a v 2,1. If yours has a 120/128 GB Drive and Nvidia GPU there's hope that it can be fixed. If original your MBA is hopeless. Sorry just the truth.

Have you not read any of the posts here about the original MBA? Maybe I am confused but from your description it seems like an original and they have been fairly worthless from day one.

maceleven

macrumors 6502
Original poster
If it's an original MBA, 1.6, Intel graphics, 667 MHz RAM, 64 GB SSD or 80 GB HDD, that's just the way they have always been... I bought an original and it was junk. I used other originals that were junk.

You need a v 2,1. If yours has a 120/128 GB Drive and Nvidia GPU there's hope that it can be fixed. If original your MBA is hopeless. Sorry just the truth.

Have you not read any of the posts here about the original MBA? Maybe I am confused but from your description it seems like an original and they have been fairly worthless from day one.

Yes unfortunately It's a old one
is There anything my apple warranty good for ?

Will they exchange it i still have 2 years left on my warranty left .

Model Name: MacBook Air
Model Identifier: MacBookAir1,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 1.6 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 800 MHz
Boot ROM Version: MBA11.00BB.B03

dk152

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2008
I doubt that Apple will exchange it for rev. B or C unless it is dead. Even then, they will probably give you a refub rev. A.

Obviously you have nothing to lose by asking to replace. Good luck with it!

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
but its really stutters alot when ever i am watching any videos MTV you tube

You know that video streaming requires a fast Internet connection, preferably 2 MB or faster DSL line - so is your Internet connection up to it? Or could an awfully slow Internet connection be the reason why YouTube "stutters"?

Do you have the same problem when you use Firefox?

Is your Flash player up to date?

Your MacBook will only be the problem when you tell me that it also stutters during the playback of an mp4 video file that is stored locally on your hard drive. If that also stutters, then I begin to believe that something's wrong with your computer. If that works fine, well, change your Internet provider.

itou

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008
granted i don't watch youtube all the time, but whenever i do, it's fine. is your software up to date? are you using safari? anything else hogging up your resources?

robertpetry

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2009
St Augustine, FL
I have the same dilemma. I love my Rev A MBA. It doesn't get too hot, the size is fantastic and the screen is amazing.

But, I can't run youtube videos anywhere without stuttering and it won't play decent quality AVI's or MP4's (ipod size are ok but look horrible). I would really like to watch some video. I have a number of DVD's that I store on a NAS and would love to throw a couple on the MBA for trips but it just doesn't work.

I would switch to a Rev. B refurb but I am afraid of the screen issues. The one's I have seen at the Apple store are not nearly as nice as the screen on my rev A.

I guess I will have to use my phone for youtube and movie watching. It actually works better than my MBA. :(

reptiledude4

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2009

This is Scottsdale's dream come true. Wait, are you sure Scottsdale didn't just create another account and post this to make a point? Hmm, I smell foul play... LOL

robertpetry

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2009
St Augustine, FL
Quick question: Do you think a Rev B refurb with the 1.6 Ghz and 120 GB HD would fix the video playback issues? I am hoping so due to the nVidia 9400 graphics and the faster front side bus on the Rev B.

reptiledude4

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2009
Quick question: Do you think a Rev B refurb with the 1.6 Ghz and 120 GB HD would fix the video playback issues? I am hoping so due to the nVidia 9400 graphics and the faster front side bus on the Rev B.

I don't think it, I know it.. Used to have a 1.6 Rev B HD myself, no issues whatsoever. Although I would spend the extra $200 and get the ssd and a faster processor.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005

Definitely. The original MacBook Air would shut down one core when it got too hot leading to a massive drop in performance. The 2nd version with the 9400M had a massive boost in graphical ability and has no trouble at all with video playback.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
This is Scottsdale's dream come true. Wait, are you sure Scottsdale didn't just create another account and post this to make a point? Hmm, I smell foul play... LOL

LMAO, no I didn't do that. Have a mod check the IP address to see if it's the same as mine.

True though, this is what I preach. I sorta ripped on the OP's machine, but my intention was to say was known by others of us that it was so bad and had wished he learned from one of us who lost and learned before him.

Too bad that we cannot all agree. We have to agree that there are MBA buyers who were never the intended target audience buying the machine. Those people seem to be happy realizing it's less machine but accepting its failures because it's cheap at $999. The intended audience was luxury $2000+ buyers who wanted MB like performance in an ultraportable that still had beautiful display, full keyboard, and yet super lightweight and thin.

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
I remember I let my friends watch youtube videos for over 3 hours when I still had my Rev A, besides the battery dying pretty quickly and the fan running at max, it didn't studder at all.

maceleven

macrumors 6502
Original poster
I remember I let my friends watch youtube videos for over 3 hours when I still had my Rev A, besides the battery dying pretty quickly and the fan running at max, it didn't studder at all.

Than maybe i Do have a lemon , but then again it seems that it does it when i least expect it ! and never does it when i try and show a genius my problem with my Air !

How is your rev C Air doing any problems?

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
Than maybe i Do have a lemon , but then again it seems that it does it when i least expect it ! and never does it when i try and show a genius my problem with my Air !

How is your rev C Air doing any problems?

Are you using coolbook? Did you do a thermal paste replacement?

I bought a refurb and apparently it was the best rev A i had (I've owned 3 Rev. A's). No core shutdown, no overheating issues, besides the Kernel_Task that plagues all revs, no problems whatsoever. If the video card was better, I would've kept it instead of buying a Rev. C.

My Rev C's doing fine. I use it for everything (since its my only system). Games, Grid Computing, Homework, IM, E-Mail, Web Surfing, everything. Haven't let me down yet except the fan randomly dying (replaced by Apple). I did have a problem with latency in Boot Camp Windows before, but after a logic board replacement (Replaced by Apple during my fan replacement) that problem went away. I can run multiple programs without any music studdering in Windows when before I would get constant studdering if I open even 1 extra program.

maceleven

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Are you using coolbook? Did you do a thermal paste replacement?

I bought a refurb and apparently it was the best rev A i had (I've owned 3 Rev. A's). No core shutdown, no overheating issues, besides the Kernel_Task that plagues all revs, no problems whatsoever. If the video card was better, I would've kept it instead of buying a Rev. C.

My Rev C's doing fine. I use it for everything (since its my only system). Games, Grid Computing, Homework, IM, E-Mail, Web Surfing, everything. Haven't let me down yet except the fan randomly dying (replaced by Apple). I did have a problem with latency in Boot Camp Windows before, but after a logic board replacement (Replaced by Apple during my fan replacement) that problem went away. I can run multiple programs without any music studdering in Windows when before I would get constant studdering if I open even 1 extra program.

Apple replaced my logic Board Lcd and heat sink and it is still tripping out .

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
I know that on my Rev A (1.8GHZ/64GB SSD) video playback has truthfully been flawless on Hulu desktop app, youtube - I have not noticed any issues whatsoever - I keep the fan speeds to 4000 RPM through a script and it is a great machine!

I remember the original iBook (colors with handles :) ) having a great deal of issues playing back youtube - it was a joke really trying to playback video with the original iBooks - but the MBA I have had no issues with.

It maybe the 1.6GHZ processor ...

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
Apple replaced my logic Board Lcd and heat sink and it is still tripping out .

are you sure they replaced the heatsink and board? They didn't replace my heatsink when they changed my board. I remember before when I had dell laptops, they said they changed the motherboard but when I got it back it was the same one. Physically check makes a whole lotta difference

kate-willbury

macrumors 6502a
Feb 14, 2009
macbook air being slow is news to you? its the most overrated and overpriced piece of junk in apples line of products.

maceleven

macrumors 6502
Original poster
are you sure they replaced the heatsink and board? They didn't replace my heatsink when they changed my board. I remember before when I had dell laptops, they said they changed the motherboard but when I got it back it was the same one. Physically check makes a whole lotta difference

yeah they replace almost the whole computer i just threw out the receipt from apple by accident , they replaced the logic board , heat sink , Lcd , Bezel, and hinges , , and it still sucks ill see if they can fax me a new receipt of the work order and have not opened it up after i lost a screw last time and had to put lock tight i wouldn't know what a new Logic board looked like anyway .

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.