Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pctechtv

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 3, 2013
Hi, I have a MacBook Air model number A1369. The computer is doing something that I have never seen… what it is doing is displaying a password screen when the power button is pressed. I also see the phrase Safe Boot at the top. When the power is pressed, it does not seem like anything is even trying to load it just quickly come this point. When I enter the password, I am sure of (used many times) It does nothing. I have loaded some pictures of what it is showing. What would be the steps to troubleshoot what is going on? Thanks

Image 1.png

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Hi, I have a MacBook Air model number A1369. The computer is doing something that I have never seen… what it is doing is displaying a password screen when the power button is pressed. I also see the phrase Safe Boot at the top. When the power is pressed, it does not seem like anything is even trying to load it just quickly come this point. When I enter the password, I am sure of (used many times) It does nothing. I have loaded some pictures of what it is showing. What would be the steps to troubleshoot what is going on? Thanks

Hmm... odd. Safe Mode (info) is usually manually invoked for troubleshooting. I have never seen it go to safe mode on its own. What if you do a command-r boot to recovery and from there use Disk Utility to verify the disk? Does that show any errors?

Looks like it's locked via Find My Mac.

Possibly lost or stolen?

That's not it... a FMM lock brings up an entry screen for a four digit PIN like this.

iu.jpeg

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
Are you waking the Macbook from Sleep, or is it a full shut-down/startup (Apple sound before you see the login screen)?

If you're waking from sleep, this isn't a recurring problem - it booted once to Safe Boot, and you keep coming back to it when you wake from sleep. You may have accidentally pressed and held the Shift key while starting up - that's what puts the Mac into Safe Boot. Do a full restart, and see if it returns.

If you do a full restart (Apple sound after you start) and it keeps coming back to Safe Boot... it's possible you have a keyboard issue of some sort. Do the Shift keys feel normal?

pctechtv

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 3, 2013
Hi, all of you gave great ideas and solutions, that I will log in my notes of things to look at next something like this occurs. Funny though, the friend whom this happened to, was smart enough to figure out that it was a stuck Caps Lock key. I will also keep this in my notes. Thanks for all the great help always!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.