Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

greentint

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2022
Hey everyone!
I recently got a MacBook Air M1 16 gig and really love using it, but there is an issue that pops up randomly. Specifically, when I am scrolling through the browser, Safari Technology Preview, there is an occasional stutter when I let go of the trackpad, I am assuming this is called scrolling inertia. This happens very randomly and I have not been able to observe a pattern. It is quite jarring and really makes the experience feel like on a cheap Windows laptop. The weird thing is, this happens much less on Firefox. I tried Chrome and Edge but on them this stutter is even worse.
I have checked if I am running out of RAM but the chart looks to be green on Activity Monitor. This issue is not apparent when I am using a mouse, for which I use an app LinearMouse to make scrolling linear.
I would appreciate any insight if anyone else experienced this.

Reactions: urmund and severi

taranbeer

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2022
India
I have the same issue and even checked at the Apple Store and the demo ones have the same issue even on the MacBook Pro 14/16, so maybe it's related to software and I haven't found a way to get rid of it.

Reactions: severi

urmund

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2022
Hey everyone!
I recently got a MacBook Air M1 16 gig and really love using it, but there is an issue that pops up randomly. Specifically, when I am scrolling through the browser, Safari Technology Preview, there is an occasional stutter when I let go of the trackpad, I am assuming this is called scrolling inertia. This happens very randomly and I have not been able to observe a pattern. It is quite jarring and really makes the experience feel like on a cheap Windows laptop. The weird thing is, this happens much less on Firefox. I tried Chrome and Edge but on them this stutter is even worse.
I have checked if I am running out of RAM but the chart looks to be green on Activity Monitor. This issue is not apparent when I am using a mouse, for which I use an app LinearMouse to make scrolling linear.
I would appreciate any insight if anyone else experienced this.
Same problem here, Apple M1 Pro, MacBook Pro (14-inch, 2021) - sometimes, randomly, 2 fingers scrolling does not register. Very frustrating and breaking my flow. I wonder if this is a software or hardware issue, but definitely one I didn't expect to experience on a 2500 euro computer.

Reactions: harold.ji

altaic

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2004
Software issue for sure.

I’ve noticed it occasionally as well, but I’d chalked it up to having a thousand tabs open. Need to do some housekeeping again and archive some projects, sigh.

BanditoB

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2009
Chicago, IL
It sounds like you may have an application or driver that occasionally hogs the CPU causing your system to be temporarily unresponsive. You may want to keep Activity Monitor open while you are browsing to see if you can see something like this happening and, if so, which app is causing the issue.

Trixs

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2008
Same problem here, Apple M1 Pro, MacBook Pro (14-inch, 2021) - sometimes, randomly, 2 fingers scrolling does not register. Very frustrating and breaking my flow. I wonder if this is a software or hardware issue, but definitely one I didn't expect to experience on a 2500 euro computer.
Did you ever find a solution? I have the same issue on my 14 inch macbook pro right now

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022
Funny thing is, my 16" M1 Max MacBook Pro doesn't have this problem.

I have switched to FireFox for now on my M2 MacBook Air. Safari has been nothing but a mess on this machine for whatever reason.

RedNova6289

Suspended
Aug 6, 2022
Funny thing is, my 16" M1 Max MacBook Pro doesn't have this problem.

I have switched to FireFox for now on my M2 MacBook Air. Safari has been nothing but a mess on this machine for whatever reason.
The craziest thing is that I only realized this was a problem after I'd switched to Ventura.

On my iMac M1 I use a Logitech mouse without inertia, so everything's fine, but on my laptop it's a nightmare.

On Firefox, have you installed any extensions?

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022
The craziest thing is that I only realized this was a problem after I'd switched to Ventura.

On my iMac M1 I use a Logitech mouse without inertia, so everything's fine, but on my laptop it's a nightmare.

On Firefox, have you installed any extensions?

Yes, I have installed many extensions on FireFox and it works perfectly fine. So it's great for now until Safari gets fixed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.