Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DD88

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 6, 2022
Originally I wanted a new MacBook Air M2 however I have gone off the idea and I really do hate the notch, I was instead going to opt for a 14” MacBook Pro but I feel that even though I need a little bit of power, the machine will be complete overkill for what I truly need it for and it’s a LOT more expensive. I’ll be using it for work but I’ll not be using many heavy programmes.

i was advised to check out the M1 Air due to price and functionality and I actually like the design and size more than the other 2 MacBooks listed. Even the black bezel I sort of like. I do have some questions though as I’ve read mixed reviews about certain things.

1. Some reviewers state it’s incredibly powerful for what it is and even the base model is powerful enough for most people and the work they do , others say it’s not powerful enough. For light photo editing and design work I think it will be fine but when people say it’s not powerful enough I’m not sure if this is just a statement aimed at the MacBook Pro users ?

2. The MacBook is provided with a 30W charger as standard however on the accessories for the M1 page it says you can use a 67,96 or 140W charger with the M1 Air. Im sure I read somewhere that the M1 Air could only handle a maximum of 45 watts of charge so wouldn’t that render the other chargers useless ?
ideally I don’t mind waiting for it to charge but if it can be done much quicker I’d be happy to buy a more powerful charger if it sped up the process.

3. Support. If I purchase one I’ll be purchasing a machine that’s already 2 years old and I’m told that Apple don’t support their older machines for very long. I’d hate to buy one and then in say a few years time I have to upgrade. This will be a computer that I hope to use for around 5+ years.

4. The model I’m looking at is 16gb RAM with 512gb hard drive. Would I be better saving another £200 and opting for the 256 GB option and just buying some external storage separately? I know RAM is important and would only get 16 GB

thank you

Honza1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2013
US
You will get many, many, different opinions. Here are mine:
1. M1 Air is not meant for heavy duty hard work. Web, writing, movies, music, lighter photo/video work... Fine. Heavier (sustained) loads, need Pro.
2. Any charger will work, Air will take as much as needed. It cannot take advantage of higher power, but can use higher power chargers without troubles. I use one (45W) for all - from iPad to MacBook Pro.
3. ??? Mac hardware is supported longer than typical (non-business) PCs. M1 Air hardware will be supported for next 5+ years. Now, Apple will eventually stop upgrading the OS for these devices, but you can use these devices for many years. I just retired 13 years old Macbook Pro and it was working just fine. Had Apple service the battery ~4 years ago.
4. These systems are not upgradeable. Buy what you will need in the future now. I would not fit on 256GB now and surely not in the future.

Reactions: DD88

DD88

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 6, 2022
You will get many, many, different opinions. Here are mine:
1. M1 Air is not meant for heavy duty hard work. Web, writing, movies, music, lighter photo/video work... Fine. Heavier (sustained) loads, need Pro.
2. Any charger will work, Air will take as much as needed. It cannot take advantage of higher power, but can use higher power chargers without troubles. I use one (45W) for all - from iPad to MacBook Pro.
3. ??? Mac hardware is supported longer than typical (non-business) PCs. M1 Air hardware will be supported for next 5+ years. Now, Apple will eventually stop upgrading the OS for these devices, but you can use these devices for many years. I just retired 13 years old Macbook Pro and it was working just fine. Had Apple service the battery ~4 years ago.
4. These systems are not upgradeable. Buy what you will need in the future now. I would not fit on 256GB now and surely not in the future.
Thank you !

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.