Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ekucukoglu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2022
hi,

i have a macbook air (m1) and have some issues with it. i'm not sure if it began with the sonoma 14.1 update but i didn't have a problem with the previous macos. maybe it's because i'm not using usb for data transfer so much.

when i am using these two together, my usb connection is generally unstable and it randomly disconnects and reconnects. this may happen even during a file transfer, which is very annoying. last two days, i visited every page where people face with similar problems (mostly with usb hubs and hard drives though) and tried everything. nothing changed.

diagnostics is clean.

i can connect this duo with no connection issues to my iphone 15 pro and other windows devices.

no solution? should we live with this crippled usb ports? most bizarre thing is, nobody knows if it's a hardware or software issue and apple is completely silent.

thanks.

real_mon2

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2023
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
1) We like UGREEN products. We are a manufacturer of computer hardware for over 38 years to date. The quality of the USB connector can be a factor.

2) Suggest to test other cables / hubs on this same macbook port. If it is still flaky, then the issue is hardware. The Type C connector is not as rugged as everyone had hoped. Most of the macbook designs feature a replaceable paddle board on the main logic board. You can confirm this by searching for the 'A***' part number from the bottom side of your macbook and search for 'A*** USB port'. If you see a small paddle board on Aliexpress / Mobile Sentrix then the same paddle board can be replaced.

3) If you conclude the physical port is flaky on the contacts - reach out to Apple and be diplomatic but firm. The contact you are chatting with can bend the rules. I know that we have an open case for a local friend who has a defective A2141 model with i9 processor = ~$3k USD (refurb). Apple is hiding from a known batch problem with the T-con board that is embedded inside the thin display. The display is now dark. This is not flexgate but another fault. The display assembly is ~$800 for a replacement. All issues linked to the defective T-con (timing controller) IC placed inside this sealed display.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.