Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Res3387

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2021
My MacBook Air M2 (base config) makes this clicking noise when I close the lid. It only happens when I close it, and it sometimes does not happen (usually if I open the lid to its maximum and wait for a few moments). When I open it, there's no click (there's a minor sound exactly when the display turns on, so it's probably some electromagnetic stuff).

Is this normal? Could somebody else with a MacBook (doesn't have to be an M2) see if they can reproduce this? It's my second unit and it's making the same noise. I'm kind of worried it's faulty - it's still returnable, but it will obviously not be in a few weeks, and I won't have many opportunities to have it repaired later.

I think it's coming from either the base or the top of the lid (I don't think it's near the hinge). It started happening like a month of owning the device (or that's when I noticed it).

P.S. It might be a silly thing to worry about, but I'm just making sure. It's my second unit that has this, yet other people have not noticed this.

Macbookey

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2023
There is a thread on this already here. I had the click as well and it went away on its own over time. No issues with my M2 Air since. Some have stated it is related to the bottom plate being too tight, and adjusting screws would solve that. I never did anything to mine and wasn’t concerned about it.

neegralex

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2024
Hello, Have you managed to fix anything? Have the same problem and when I tore the MacBook down, it seemed like the ribbon cable was causing this noise. I wanted to find out a way that I can fix it but I haven t managed to reach an endpoint.

Res3387

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2021
It fixed itself. Literally the only things I did were I pressed on the area near the hinge and also cleaned out the hinge. That's all I did. I don't want to speak too early, but so far it has not made any noise.

Although I wonder if it's very bad that I've opened/closed the MacBook so much over the past week (at least 300 times in total).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.