Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikem204

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2024
Hello all,

I just recently downloaded iStatistica to monitor some things on my new M3 air and I found that the CPU temps on all the cores stay low in temp except for core 6. On core 6 there is often times spikes up to 70 deg c while the others remain around 40 deg c. This can be while I am simply just scrolling through Reddit on Safari with nothing else in the background. Please see attached photos for examples.

Does anyone know if this is normal or what the cause is for this? Is core 6 of this CPU the heavy lifter?

Thank you

Screenshot 2024-04-16 at 4.58.56 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-04-16 at 4.15.27 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-04-17 at 4.08.22 PM.png

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-04-16 at 4.58.56 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-16 at 4.58.56 PM.png
    201.3 KB · Views: 23
  • Screenshot 2024-04-17 at 4.08.22 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-17 at 4.08.22 PM.png
    286.2 KB · Views: 19

mikem204

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2024
Apple used the highway road repair crew model when designing the AS chips.
Is this normal for these chips to be working like this? I do understand these highway road repair crews work most effectively like this, but does an apple chip work effectively like this too?

raythompsontn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2023
Is this normal for these chips to be working like this? I do understand these highway road repair crews work most effectively like this, but does an apple chip work effectively like this too?
If there is only 1 active app, if the active app is largely single threaded, what else is there for the other CPUs to accomplish. Lightroom can multi-task and doing a couple of exports will put load on additional CPUs. Who know? Maybe the OS or firmware, will use one CPU one day, another CPU on another day, sort of rotating the active CPU among all the CPUs depending on the day.

mikem204

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2024
So I think there may be an issue with that specific program and measuring/reading the temperature sensors on the M3 Chip. I looked into another program called TG Pro which explicitly states support for M3 chips and after downloading it, it is showing consistent temperatures among the cores.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
So I think there may be an issue with that specific program and measuring/reading the temperature sensors on the M3 Chip. I looked into another program called TG Pro which explicitly states support for M3 chips and after downloading it, it is showing consistent temperatures among the cores.
Unless you're troubleshooting a problem, or just really really really want to go down the rabbit hole of how macOS schedules cores between the performance and efficiency cores, there's no really any value to what you're trying to do here.

What started your quest to look at this?

mikem204

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2024
There is no problem, the air is about a week old and things have been performing great. This is my first Mac however and I have never had a computer without any fans so I am curious to how it performs.

So far so good and really enjoying the experience.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
There is no problem, the air is about a week old and things have been performing great. This is my first Mac however and I have never had a computer without any fans so I am curious to how it performs.

So far so good and really enjoying the experience.
Nice, just don’t drive yourself crazy by constantly monitoring stats. Enjoy the machine!

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
All of the sensor apps are just guessing about what the various sensors mean. There is no official documentation on them and they change frequently with different Macs and SoCs.

Over time the guesses get better so I suspect that TG Pro just has better insight on the actual sensor functions.

(I know all this because I attempted to write a sensor app for my Apple silicon MacBook Air and found the whole thing very frustrating.)

mikem204

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2024
All of the sensor apps are just guessing about what the various sensors mean. There is no official documentation on them and they change frequently with different Macs and SoCs.

Over time the guesses get better so I suspect that TG Pro just has better insight on the actual sensor functions.

(I know all this because I attempted to write a sensor app for my Apple silicon MacBook Air and found the whole thing very frustrating.)
This is the correct response. When I was using iStatistica it was not reporting all of the cores and it was showing that core 6 was sky high.

With TG Pro, they have a blog on their page about the testing they did to dial in the sensors on these Apple silicon chips. After installing TG Pro, all the cores are reporting temp as should be on an M3 air with all the temperatures in a reasonable range with respect to each other. I attached a snippet of the TG Pro sensors listed and their temps. The max temperature is now showing 57 degrees celsius with all of them in a reasonable range.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-04-22 at 8.56.03 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-22 at 8.56.03 AM.png
    224.7 KB · Views: 15

jb310

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2017
I wonder if it's due to an app that's programmed to run single-threaded? 🤔

Most apps today are built to support multi-threading, but it's always possible that there's one that's making a single core do all the work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.