Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

haralds

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
I replaced the WiFI/BTLE cards on both my 5,1 Mac Pro and mid 2012 MacBook Pro Retina. They now support watch unlock and I really like it.

Is there a card that fits the MacBook Air mid 2011? I would prefer not to patch drivers except for using CAT.

It looks like you could fit the card I used on the Pro, but it would be slightly long and BT antenna cables would not fit.

I have searched this forum but did not find a matching post.

haralds

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
That's a steal! Might get one for my wife's Air, if my operation succeeds.
I generally like to get known reliable hardware, if it is not too outrageous. This is in the hope of avoiding needless installation failures and debugging pain.
My time is money!

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I certainly understand your need for reliable hardware but, being in Canada, buying from ifixit is expensive with shipping and exchange. Since eBay and ifixit cards are used, I went with the cheapest option for me.

I got the same card for an early 2015 for $16 CAD from eBay. I got it in two days because the seller was in Toronto too.

haralds

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
The changeover was a complete success. I am happy with the results. Rerouting the antenna cables was a bit of a job, but not too hard, if you are careful and take your time.

Reactions: Audit13

EightBitWhit

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2018
I replaced the WiFI/BTLE cards on both my 5,1 Mac Pro and mid 2012 MacBook Pro Retina. They now support watch unlock and I really like it.

What WiFi/BTLE card did you use in your cMP 5,1? I'm looking to do the same upgrade so I can get Watch Unlock working on my cMP 5,1 as well and would GREATLY appreciate any info you can share.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.