Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

uberamd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 26, 2009
Minnesota
So I got a Macbook Air back in May of 2009. It was a refurb, rev A (80GB, 1.6GHz) for work. Immediately out of the box the display was ghosting. Going from black to any lighter color caused a ghosted image for a 1+ second before the ghosted image faded away. Bummer, but oh well. I used the warranty and the on campus Apple Service Center to fix the laptop. 2 days later I got it back, new screen, $0. Sweet.

Last night I wanted to hook up my Android G1 to my Macbook Air via bluetooth. Turned on discovery mode for the G1, had my Air scan, and scan, and scan and scan and scan. Nothing. No bluetooth devices found. The G1 found my Macbook Pro, and Mac Mini, but not my Air. My Air didn't find my G1, or my Mini and Pro. Well wth.

I work with computers doing repair and administration at my job, so I knew this was hardware. I knew the repair would be free, and that I just needed to walk about 1 minute from my office to get to the Apple service place, but still, I am bummed. My 2009 Mini and early 2008 Macbook Pro are ticking like clocks still, but my Air has already had 2 issues in 2 months, each requiring repair. I never paid for Apple Care on any of my personal Mac's, but after the experience with the Air, I might just have push and get it.

Its just a bummer having issues like this. I am used to being able to solve most computer problems I have, whether it be hardware or software, so this whole 'sending it off to get it fixed' thing is strange to me.

Is the build quality less on the Air in comparison to the rest of the Macbook line or have I just had some bad luck with it? Note that I don't know if bluetooth ever worked on this because I believe this is the first time I tried to pair a bluetooth device with the Air.

On a higher note, dealing with the Apple Expert over the phone was a breeze. I made an online request, they called me, I told them I reinstalled the OS, and bluetooth still won't see devices in OS X and in Windows, and he made a ticket and said bring it in to the repair place. 5 minute phone call, at the most. Great dealing with their service people, spoke english (he was in the US after all), etc. I called Dell yesterday, and got transfered 3 times and each time I spoke to someone who didn't speak english well at all, and caused me to ask "what" after every statement they made. Apple support is top notch.

kropotov

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2009
heh you not alone friend!

Microfon on my MBA not working, WIFI do not see AirPort Expresss:) I have already changed HD on MBA....

BTW my time capsule was twice repaired.. each time by 2 months )))

do not worry! be happy! ;)

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
Being that it's an original MBA, I think you're pretty lucky those are the extent of your MBA's problems thus far. Good luck.

CaptainCannabis

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2007
Ah yes... the original MBA... what a big piece of sh*t by Apple.

Every unit was defective, with overheating problems. I bought the 1.8/SSD, $3000 it cost...

You couldn't even watch a youtube video without the MBA starting to sound like a hoover vacuum, and one of its cores shutting down.

Everybody complained, and complained, Apple decided to patch it, by decreasing the Ghz speed whenever you started something... in the end, it meant you had a 1.8 machine, which was running at 1gHz, or 0.8gHz. Apple reserved the right to say that the machine would adapt the processor speed to the task on hand (FILTHY lame thing, still can't believe they did this).

They never recalled all their ****** MBAs which is what they should have done, to try replace the heatsink... or fix it somehow (not through patches).

But in the end, instead of being honest and try to satisfy their customers (like it should have been done) they sold everyone their sh*tty MBAs, kept quiet, said nothing was wrong and waited for revision B to change the heatsink and the graphics card.

They got our money, we got their defectives MBAs... and thats just how everything happened.

Consider yourself lucky you havent experienced the core shutdown yet... or maybe you havent discovered them... lol

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
My wife's 1st gen MBA continues to work with no problems.
Just FYI, not all MBA Rev As have problems.

jrabbit

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2008
St. Louis, MO
Not all MBAs have problems...

Not all MBAs have problems.

I have a first-day MBA 1.8/SSD. Not one problem: great screen, no overheating. Yes, the fans kick up for video, but that's the weak GPU; no core shutdowns.

I've never owned a machine that I've been happier with; I'd surely like a larger SSD and more RAM, but I have not been hampered by the lack of either.

It's definitely not for everyone, but if you have one that runs well, it's really sweet...

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
I also have the rev a 1.8/ ssd - no problems - watch movies on it without the fans kicking into high (well i live in a cool place so maybe that's it!). Airport connection works great, have used it w/ ethernet dongle fine too.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
My wife's 1st gen MBA continues to work with no problems.
Just FYI, not all MBA Rev As have problems.

The component makeup/mixture IS the problem. The reason why the rev B was so very much better was the ULV CPU AND the greatly improved GPU. The problem was that 65NM Process Merom CPU with Intel 3100 CRAPgraphics.

They were/ARE all crap. The thing is that the patches and coolbook greatly help it function BETTER. Still, when comparing to a 45NM process Penryn CPU and Nvidia 9400m GPU, they are junk and greatly inferior.

Now, nobody should sucker into Apple's gig of buying them for less money "refurbished" as for a few bucks more, one can get the real deal Penryn/Nvidia GPU for $1199 or $1449. If anyone doesn't understand the difference, they should learn the differences before trying to save $200 and buy one for $999.

Apple really should be ashamed of itself. Like the other poster stated, Jobs stood on stage and told us all how great the MBA was for $3099. Then, Apple backstabbed everyone by selling it for $1299 less than a year later because it was garbage.

To everyone that bought a $1299, you all are genius compared to those of us who were originally shafted by Apple. It's like buying a car... it's just going to depreciate... but at least the refurbished buyers paid far less than us original SUCKERS! I will never believe Apple again. Every purchase I have or ever will make from Apple now will be carefully thought out with reviews read and ensure that I don't make as big of a mistake as I made with the original MBA... what a piece of crap. It really was the worst purchase I have EVER made.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Hmm.. I am less happy with my blackjack MacBook than with the MBA in some ways:

1) didn't think I would mind no keyboard backlighting, but in certain lighting situations, the white on black markings just don't cut it. So I prefer the MBA keyboard.

2) not fond of the way the black shows my grubby pawprints so easily. Maybe it's making me a neater person, but I'm copping an attitude behind it, that's for sure.

3) blackjack has since 10.5.7 shut down instead of going to sleep on low battery, with no warning whatsoever. just found that out yesterday so now i have to make sure i plug in sooner... My MBA is on 10.5.7 also but it doesn't do that.

4) my wireless connection is snappier on the MBA than on the blackjack when I first turn the card on. Half the time on the blackjack the first thing I hit on the browser gets an error because it's not up yet.

ducatidoc

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2008
Ah yes... the original MBA... what a big piece of sh*t by Apple.

my first (revA) mba had core shutdowns. sold it.

my second (revB) mba had major defects and even had a sheet attached to it detailing the problems FROM THE FACTORY. returned it.

my third (revB) mba has lines on the screen. stuck with it.

my gf's unibody macbook is starting to experience the gray screen of death on a regular basis (indicative of hardware defects).

also, im on my third iphone and stuck with it as well now that my warranty period is over (1st and second, dead speaker and bubbles under the screen, respectively).

im new to apple as of about 18 months ago, and quite frankly think that everyone raving about apple quality really needs to take a closer look at what this company has become. i dont argue that the quality used to be good, but i am extremely delicate with my hardware and am stunned that apple finds these products acceptable.

Thorbjorn

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2008
And my Rev. A HDD MBA has no issues. Clean, clear screen. No stuttering, no shutdown (and no Coolbook). Fans do come on in Hulu, but not noisy, no jet takeoff. And so far, hinge is fine too. I'm sure later revisions are better overall, but the Rev. A was a good buy in my case.

CaptainCannabis

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2007
Yes, I was one of those fools who said mine had no problems, that it was amazing, defended the MBA till the end... but I was just fooling myself. I just realised I was being stupid.

(Got the US version day 1 too, watching a video the fans kick in too, obviously. The video is fine to watch, but it is unacceptable that a laptop heats-up so much just by watching a stupid youtube video. Put it on your lap, and watch a youtube video of 10+ minutes fullscreen... that will not work... you need to have it on a table. A laptop... that doesnt work as a laptop, lol).

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
I love the idea of the Air, but it currently is not fit for production. I had a REV A, SSD when they came out. I've detailed my issues enough (and I've had every single thing go wrong that can with the Air over 5 different machines). I really hope Apple makes it great, so I can go back to it.

tempusfugit

macrumors 65816
May 21, 2009
Chicago
I agree with the previous post.

Buying an MBA is tantamount to strolling through a minefield. Even if you get through it unscathed it was probably imprudent to have taken the risk anyway....

ob81

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2007
Virginia Beach
To everyone that bought a $1299, you all are genius compared to those of us who were originally shafted by Apple. It's like buying a car... it's just going to depreciate... but at least the refurbished buyers paid far less than us original SUCKERS! I will never believe Apple again. Every purchase I have or ever will make from Apple now will be carefully thought out with reviews read and ensure that I don't make as big of a mistake as I made with the original MBA... what a piece of crap. It really was the worst purchase I have EVER made.

I have to agree. With launches like the 1st MBA, and the early unibody MB's, I started hesitating on Apple purchases. It really goes without saying though for most people that have been using Apple Pre-2005ish. That first product is going to have some issues. The MBA was indeed one of the most blatant slaps in the face in recent Apple releases though. $3000 my ass. Now it is $1299. haha

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.