Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kntgsp

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2004
As much as I like the air, I have to agree.

Fix the screen lines, give it a 256SSD and 4GB of RAM, and I'm on board.

Screen lines are apparently fixed as of Rev. C. I've seen mine, a colleagues and two in the local Apple reseller, none of which had lines. On the A's it seems to be quite common.

256GB SSD in 1.8" with LIF connector would drive the price back up over $2k easily and I don't even think anyone makes one. Toshiba only recently announced a 256 1.8" SSD, but there's no word on whether it would fit in the MBA, let alone whether they will make it with LIF connectors.

4GB RAM I wouldn't mind. But not a deal breaker for me.

I can't see Apple hiking the Air back up to the two and a half thousand mark after seeing the huge sales boost the line got from the dropped prices.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
256GB SSD in 1.8" with LIF connectors is so horrendously expensive it would end up raising the price point of the higher model by a substantial amount. Can't see Apple raising the price point again without a chipset update. It'd drive away users who have been drawn to the unit by the price decrease.

I think it's 100% POSSIBLE that the new high-end MBA rev C has NOT yet been released. It would be MORE EXPENSIVE for certain if it had a 256 GB SSD and 4 GB RAM. I think we could see it BEFORE Arrandale chips! I believe it just wasn't ready in time and the current high-end will be the low end.

I give it a 50/50 shot that we see an added high-end before Arrandale. I also believe that we could see a revised rev D MBA before Arrandale even. I think Apple would still want to take advantage of Nvidia chipset and GPU with the same C2D 2.13 GHz CPU... I think it's 50/50 on it being rev C high end or rev D and changed with the 3G card, glass trackpad, and all the component upgrades...

I would think that the recent rev C "update" was NOT the real intended update for the MBA. I think we see a new MBA, even if called a MacBook before the MBPs are updated again. I also believe it could include a 15" version as a high possibility... still not probable.

Capitalizing on the "MacBook" brand and moving forward with the technologies learned with the MBA makes sense. Also, Apple is definitely moving towards optical drive-less Mac notebooks and the MBA form factor saves so much weight and space less the dang optical drive.

Importantly, a series of MacBooks that also include an external optical drive, in both 13" and 15" models make so very much sense for the "CONSUMERS" in the market. EVERYONE loves the MBA when they use it... the RAM and SSD updates are the final pieces to the project that make it powerful enough and large enough drive. Also, it cannot cost Apple too much more to make an MBA than a MBP in the same size. The drive sizes would probably include a 128 GB SSD and a higher end 256 GB SSD for more money or in the high end.

I really see this happening before Winter! It could even include an OLED display. One more thing... the reason I am convinced it happens BEFORE Arrandale is the dispute between Nvidia and Intel. Apple cannot put a discrete graphics card in this Mac notebook. And, Apple CANNOT put the worthless integrated Intel graphics... so Apple may really want this particular Mac notebook done before that dispute happens... It would DEFINITELY include a Core 2 Duo CPU... assuming that is correct.

kntgsp

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2004
I think it's 100% POSSIBLE that the new high-end MBA rev C has NOT yet been released. It would be MORE EXPENSIVE for certain if it had a 256 GB SSD and 4 GB RAM. I think we could see it BEFORE Arrandale chips! I believe it just wasn't ready in time and the current high-end will be the low end.

I give it a 50/50 shot that we see an added high-end before Arrandale. I also believe that we could see a revised rev D MBA before Arrandale even. I think Apple would still want to take advantage of Nvidia chipset and GPU with the same C2D 2.13 GHz CPU... I think it's 50/50 on it being rev C high end or rev D and changed with the 3G card, glass trackpad, and all the component upgrades...

I would think that the recent rev C "update" was NOT the real intended update for the MBA. I think we see a new MBA, even if called a MacBook before the MBPs are updated again. I also believe it could include a 15" version as a high possibility... still not probable.

Capitalizing on the "MacBook" brand and moving forward with the technologies learned with the MBA makes sense. Also, Apple is definitely moving towards optical drive-less Mac notebooks and the MBA form factor saves so much weight and space less the dang optical drive.

Importantly, a series of MacBooks that also include an external optical drive, in both 13" and 15" models make so very much sense for the "CONSUMERS" in the market. EVERYONE loves the MBA when they use it... the RAM and SSD updates are the final pieces to the project that make it powerful enough and large enough drive. Also, it cannot cost Apple too much more to make an MBA than a MBP in the same size. The drive sizes would probably include a 128 GB SSD and a higher end 256 GB SSD for more money or in the high end.

I really see this happening before Winter! It could even include an OLED display. One more thing... the reason I am convinced it happens BEFORE Arrandale is the dispute between Nvidia and Intel. Apple cannot put a discrete graphics card in this Mac notebook. And, Apple CANNOT put the worthless integrated Intel graphics... so Apple may really want this particular Mac notebook done before that dispute happens... It would DEFINITELY include a Core 2 Duo CPU... assuming that is correct.

That is a whole lotta wharrgarbl in one post. Step away from the bong.

iMacmatician

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2008
That is a whole lotta wharrgarbl in one post. Step away from the bong.
There's an unusually high amount of optimism on the MacBook Air front. The kind that usually leads to inevitable disappointment.

Was anybody realistically expecting a significantly larger MacBook Air update than what we got in June? I wasn't…

jamesryanbell

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2009
Screen lines are apparently fixed as of Rev. C. I've seen mine, a colleagues and two in the local Apple reseller, none of which had lines. On the A's it seems to be quite common.

Many people have posted that *EVERY* Rev C they've seen has lines....as much or moreso than the Rev Bs. ??

256GB SSD in 1.8" with LIF connector would drive the price back up over $2k easily and I don't even think anyone makes one. Toshiba only recently announced a 256 1.8" SSD, but there's no word on whether it would fit in the MBA, let alone whether they will make it with LIF connectors.

Yeah, I didn't expect them to do it right now, but that's the space I'd need. :) One day! :)

4GB RAM I wouldn't mind. But not a deal breaker for me.

I think I'd need it, honestly.

I can't see Apple hiking the Air back up to the two and a half thousand mark after seeing the huge sales boost the line got from the dropped prices.[/QUOTE]

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
Many people have posted that *EVERY* Rev C they've seen has lines....as much or moreso than the Rev Bs. ??

Yeah, I didn't expect them to do it right now, but that's the space I'd need. :) One day! :)

I think I'd need it, honestly.

I can't see Apple hiking the Air back up to the two and a half thousand mark after seeing the huge sales boost the line got from the dropped prices.
[/QUOTE]

The screen issue is just as widespread on the REV C as the REV B. It does not effect every model, but the conscious seems to be that over 90% are affected.

Between two Apple Stores and Two Best Buy's, I have seen over 10 Macbook Air's, plus I had 2 models of the REV B. Only 1 did not have the line issue, which was a display model in the Walt Whitman Apple Store on Long Island NY (REV B). Haven't seen one without lines since, and I check every now and then.

kntgsp

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2004
The screen issue is just as widespread on the REV C as the REV B. It does not effect every model, but the conscious seems to be that over 90% are affected.

Between two Apple Stores and Two Best Buy's, I have seen over 10 Macbook Air's, plus I had 2 models of the REV B. Only 1 did not have the line issue, which was a display model in the Walt Whitman Apple Store on Long Island NY (REV B). Haven't seen one without lines since, and I check every now and then.

That's interesting to note. I have a lot of friends and colleagues with Macs, and I haven't heard a single complaint about the Rev. C. Only that some wish it had more RAM (despite the fact that most of them don't need it, but they hear the often repeated "A new computer has to have 4GB", even if they just surf the web and listen to iTunes)

I heard endless complaints on the Rev. A and B, but not a peep from people I know who use C's. Outside this forum obviously.

It's supposedly a DOA-able defect because I know two people who returned new Rev. B's for exchange when they saw lines on their display and didn't have to pay a restocking fee.

Macintox

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2009
As far as I am concerned I'd say.... this rev C is all we will see in the MBair as we know it. Next one will be heavily redesigned to accomodate more standard parts.
Better screen resolution & even more screen space (14" high res), more RAM, more ports , more hard drive space, more battery .
But do not expect this too soon, Apple has many others & more important things to do.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
You are totally right. (Still too heavy for me!)

The MBA feels like carrying a few magazines, while the MBPs feel like carrying a BRICK. I definitely know it's only 50% more for the 13" MBP, but it feels way heavier in reality.

I agree with you, it doesn't matter how technical people want to be, in reality it's a HUGE difference. Carrying the MBA is a dream! The MBA is amazingly lightweight and extremely fun!

They can have their technically superior MBPs, I will stick with an extremely capable MBA which is far more fun... even if it technically doesn't match the "power" of the MBP. Most of us truly don't need or use the differences capable in the MBPs anyways.

JasG

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2009
Rev. C, one week old, no lines, no nothing but a magnificent 3 pound computer.

It is impossible to persuade another of the difference between 3 pounds and 4.5. Either you feel it or you don't. With my MacBook unibody I always thought had about taking it or leaving it behind for my many many miles of walking and biking and commuting around a big city. With the Air, I just take it.

Sure I'd like to have 4mb, even though I absolutely don't need. Sure I'd like to have the glass trackpad, which is a dream. But nothing is worth the weight for me. Others will want the extras and live with the weight to have them.

I use an optical drive about twice a year.

bbotte

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2008
USA
Mine has been perfect, and will get even better in Sept with SL. :D I am the person the thing was built for. Surfing, e-mail, iTunes. Hell I have a VMware XP machine on there that I use to jump on windows for 5 mins when I need it and it still has plenty of Memory for that, as really all I need is IE for work. Best PC I have ever owned.

kntgsp

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2004
Rev. C, one week old, no lines, no nothing but a magnificent 3 pound computer.

It is impossible to persuade another of the difference between 3 pounds and 4.5. Either you feel it or you don't. With my MacBook unibody I always thought had about taking it or leaving it behind for my many many miles of walking and biking and commuting around a big city. With the Air, I just take it.

Sure I'd like to have 4mb, even though I absolutely don't need. Sure I'd like to have the glass trackpad, which is a dream. But nothing is worth the weight for me. Others will want the extras and live with the weight to have them.

I use an optical drive about twice a year.

Ditto. Even when I had a 15" MBP, I rarely, if ever, used the optical drive. Games I have on Steam, and most anything else I have backed up on an external or on the network.

The thing that surprised me though....is how much I prefer the Air's trackpad with the button compared to the trackpad on the MBP's. I really like the new trackpad on the MBP because I was switching up from the old ones that didn't have all the gestures. But after having a trackpad with the 4 finger gestures AND a button....I gotta say I prefer the button.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.