Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jm31828

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 28, 2015
Bothell, Washington
Yeah, I tend to shop quite a bit at Best Buy. So, I'm well aware of the return policies there lol.

Tbf, I'm not sure what most people use in Starbucks has anything to do with the OP choosing MBA or the iPad.

I'm fully aware what the iPad lacks when unboxing, but I gravitate towards it. For my particular setup (M1 1TB 5G 12.9" iPP, MK, Apple Pencil)... I could of have gotten a 14" MBP if I were to wait 5 to 6 months, but I prefer the iPad.
Good to know- thanks for sharing! :)

One other question- do you have a Mac as well (if not a MacBook, then a Mac Mini or iMac), or do you truly just do everything on your iPad that you don't do on your phone?

Love-hate 🍏 relationship

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2021
I have a 2017 iMac 27” that I use currently for photo editing (Luminar AI, which isn’t available on iPad), and when I need to do much typing.

I use my iPhone 13 for all of my media consumption, my late evening couch sessions checking social media, online banking, watching an occasional video, etc.

I was hoping to get a device with a but bigger screen than my phone to bridge the two devices- to use for some of those longer consumption sessions, but also for photo editing and even some light video editing.

I picked up an iPad Air 5 on sale for $499, and a MacBook Air m1 on sale for $799- neither has been opened yet, intending to keep one and return the other.

My concerns with the iPad would be that it’s a bit too big to hold when sitting on the couch to use for very long, and that it’s s bit limited in which apps can be used and I can’t use my Luminar AI app. It also seems to overlap too much with my phone, which is so comfortable to hold and use for media consumption.

The MacBook would of course allow me to use my Luminar AI app, and it can run mobile apps as well, a bonus as there are a few I’d like to continue using.
It also has the built in keyboard and sits nicely in the lap.

The down side with it seems to be that it overlaps too much with my iMac, which is perfectly capable- just slow and can’t be used in other parts of the house.

I’m a bit torn here- I’m feeling that the MacBook feels more like the better choice as an extension of my iMac- but am I off base? Or is it silly when I have an iMac already?
MacBook air M1 , far less frustrating than an ipad

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
which one has a longer battery?

my MacBook Air M1 can go over 20 hours while the iPad 2017 I have can stream for over 7 hours an then some.

Reactions: jm31828

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Tbf, I'm not sure what most people use in Starbucks has anything to do with the OP choosing MBA or the iPad.
It's an example of what I have seen in use in numerous places last so many months near Apple campuses, Stanford University to what people regularly use when they have time to sit and do stuff away from work, school, home. I know we are discussing the use of both. But seeing what everyone else comes in and uses is interesting.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
Thanks for sharing! So besides the photo editing, it sounds like the MBA is your web browsing/social media/news reading couch device as well? Any concerns there? I assume the MBA doesn't get warm/hot like pre M1 models, and the size is still small enough that this works out well?
yes exactly. I had a 15" MBPro before this Air and while it was ok for my use, the constant fan noises were not pleasant, and of course the heat, and of course the weight. Plus I wanted to use the same apps/workflow while traveling so MBA just suits my needs much better. And I always have my 13PM iPhone for non-wifi use as well.
But there are plenty who prefer iPad over MBA and I've seen multiple threads on iPad for photography I think in the digital photography subforum.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Good to know- thanks for sharing! :)

One other question- do you have a Mac as well (if not a MacBook, then a Mac Mini or iMac), or do you truly just do everything on your iPad that you don't do on your phone?
Well, I own a desktop Windows PC as well… so I truly don't have to rely solely on the iPad.

It's an example of what I have seen in use in numerous places last so many months near Apple campuses, Stanford University to what people regularly use when they have time to sit and do stuff away from work, school, home. I know we are discussing the use of both. But seeing what everyone else comes in and uses is interesting.
Completely understand. But I personally don’t take the belief that since everyone is using a certain device then I should be doing the same.

jm31828

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 28, 2015
Bothell, Washington
The MacBook Air is far more capable of a machine. I'd say the MBA + your iMac and iPhone will set you up to have a very versatile assortment of devices for your needs. Get rid of the iPad.
Thanks for the advice!

Now that I know I can, I will open each and use them for a couple of days and see what suits me the best- but given the awkwardness of holding an 11" ipad on the couch aside from any other potential issues, I am starting to feel the MacBook may be the winner here- but I'll see how it goes.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013

For writing research papers with tons of references, creating PowerPoints and the like, I think it's normal to see more MacBooks or Windows laptops versus iPads.

My iPads are primarily leisure devices.

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
From my experience, an iPad excels in any form of annotation and illustration (with Apple pencil), has a multi-lingual virtual keyboard and allows a better multi-tasking than iPhone due to its larger screen. It is also smaller and lighter than any laptop. If none of the above are important for you, you would probably be better off with a MBA, as it has a bigger screen and you have mentioned typing a lot. You can also fold a MBA to sit at any convenient angle. OS-wise, macOS is also way more versatile than iPadOS.

So just add all the pros & cons and it should be easier for you to choose.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
You can also fold a MBA to sit at any convenient angle. OS-wise, macOS is also way more versatile than iPadOS.

Well, tbh… I can sit the iPad at any convenient angle as well. I think the iPad is more versatile… but macOS is much more functional.

And you are correct, the OP hasn’t mention Apple Pencil use.. for which the iPad excels in illustrations and annotations. It seems logical to go with the MBA over the iPad.

I've never heard that before ! What is live multitasking ?
Can’t speak for the user…. But if I had to guess simultaneously audio/video streams.

Reactions: flobach

jm31828

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 28, 2015
Bothell, Washington
From my experience, an iPad excels in any form of annotation and illustration (with Apple pencil), has a multi-lingual virtual keyboard and allows a better multi-tasking than iPhone due to its larger screen. It is also smaller and lighter than any laptop. If none of the above are important for you, you would probably be better off with a MBA, as it has a bigger screen and you have mentioned typing a lot. You can also fold a MBA to sit at any convenient angle. OS-wise, macOS is also way more versatile than iPadOS.

Yep- when I first decided to pick up the iPad, my thoughts were to have a bigger device with a bit less eye strain for longer sessions where I am reading news, web browsing, and going through social media- as well as having a device that would- in such a compact form factor- allow me to do some of my photo editing and maybe even dabble in video editing.

I know the iPad can do both of those without breaking a sweat- but as noted, my disappointment came when realizing my photo editor of choice- Luminar AI- does not have an iPad app. So, I would have to go to Affinity Photo which is not expensive and is admittedly a lot more powerful than Luminar- but would require a lot of learning as it is new and is rather advanced/complex.... or go with Pixelmator photo which is rather expensive (one-time purchase of $55), but is simpler than Affinity but may not get me the same results as I do with Luminar AI.... so none of those options are great- and the MacBook would allow me to simply keep using Luminar AI- but of course in the form of a traditional laptop, not the compact little tablet that I would be able to use in the iPad.

Otherwise, I would just be trying to use the iPad like a laptop as much as possible- I wouldn't really need an Apple Pencil, though was thinking of getting a 3rd party one to use more as a stylus, not any real writing/note taking or drawing. But, not a requirement at all for me.

I will see what the test drive with each really leads me to, certainly before buying any photo editing apps for the iPad. :)

jm31828

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 28, 2015
Bothell, Washington
And you are correct, the OP hasn’t mention Apple Pencil use.. for which the iPad excels in illustrations and annotations. It seems logical to go with the MBA over the iPad.

Yeah, I actually won't have much need for Apple Pencil aside from maybe getting a 3rd party one to use as a stylus, for more easily making spot-corrections in photos, or in moving sliders in photo editing apps. Definitely not a requirement for me- no note-taking, no drawing, nothing like that.

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
Otherwise, I would just be trying to use the iPad like a laptop as much as possible…

Well, I have been using iPads as my main “big” device for about 7 years now. I probably use my iPhone 50% of the time (as it is always at hand), iPad - 47%, and a 2015 MBP the remaining 3%. So it is doable to “get things done” with an iPad, but will require you to learn/develop new workflows and workarounds, compared to a laptop.

I still need a Mac for some website editing work (can also be done on an iPad, but it takes longer), ebook conversion, downloading torrent files and, most ironically, restoring iOS/iPadOS devices.

From what you describe, your use will involve a lot of typing and this, IMO, will be much more fluid on a MBA, unless you want to invest into a full size quality Bluetooth keyboard for an iPad, as Apple’s Magic Keyboards for 11” are still quite cramped.

Have fun playing with your iPad and discovering different ways of doing things. ✌️

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
I have a MBA. not an iPad Air, but an iPad Mini instead. I wouldn't have any use for iPad Air though.
The MBA is far more valuable to me than the iPad mini.
But iPad mini is small enough to bring with me mostly everywhere, some scrolling in different places, if the MBA isn't needed, and iPhone isn't enough. Some shorter notes and writing, and some other apps, some more in productive ways, some not.

jm31828

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 28, 2015
Bothell, Washington
I have a MBA. not an iPad Air, but an iPad Mini instead. I wouldn't have any use for iPad Air though.
The MBA is far more valuable to me than the iPad mini.
But iPad mini is small enough to bring with me mostly everywhere, some scrolling in different places, if the MBA isn't needed, and iPhone isn't enough. Some shorter notes and writing, and some other apps, some more in productive ways, some not.
Do you find yourself using the MBA for simple tasks like web browsing, social media browsing, etc, when sitting on the couch- or is that really when the iPad Mini is used?

I really like the idea of the MBA potentially being the primary device to bridge between my old iMac and my phone, to be able to do that photo editing and maybe video editing, as well as social media and web browsing that I otherwise do on my little iPhone 13 Mini- to save my eyes from longer sessions of reading on a tiny display. :)

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
Do you find yourself using the MBA for simple tasks like web browsing, social media browsing, etc, when sitting on the couch- or is that really when the iPad Mini is used?

I really like the idea of the MBA potentially being the primary device to bridge between my old iMac and my phone, to be able to do that photo editing and maybe video editing, as well as social media and web browsing that I otherwise do on my little iPhone 13 Mini- to save my eyes from longer sessions of reading on a tiny display. :)
I do 99% of my writing on my MBA, browsing yes, social media, not really (try to stay away from that entirely).
I use my Studio and MBA in different arias of my home, and in different use. MBA I can move around, have in bed and other places. As I don't own a TV, I do whatever of that kind of entertainment and mindless relaxing on either Mac Studio / ASD, or MBA.

iPad, is not very comparable to a Mac, not to me anyway. But sure you surf on all of them. I read 99% from Kindle app on my iPad Mini, rarely happens on other devices, but sometimes on the go, sometimes on MBA.
All devices bridge each other with Apple products.
I am pretty satisfied with how mine bridge each other today, in different places, with different things.
I recall I bought and sold off Apple devices much more earlier, because I didn't have the intended use for it later, not today. They are a good and harmonic family now 😉

jm31828

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 28, 2015
Bothell, Washington
I do 99% of my writing on my MBA, browsing yes, social media, not really (try to stay away from that entirely).
I use my Studio and MBA in different arias of my home, and in different use. MBA I can move around, have in bed and other places. As I don't own a TV, I do whatever of that kind of entertainment and mindless relaxing on either Mac Studio / ASD, or MBA.

iPad, is not very comparable to a Mac, not to me anyway. But sure you surf on all of them. I read 99% from Kindle app on my iPad Mini, rarely happens on other devices, but sometimes on the go, sometimes on MBA.
All devices bridge each other with Apple products.
I am pretty satisfied with how mine bridge each other today, in different places, with different things.
I recall I bought and sold off Apple devices much more earlier, because I didn't have the intended use for it later, not today. They are a good and harmonic family now 😉

haha Glad to hear you have a harmonic family now. :)

Thanks for sharing!

Reactions: Lioness~

catfish743

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2007
Kentucky
I have a 2017 iMac 27” that I use currently for photo editing (Luminar AI, which isn’t available on iPad), and when I need to do much typing.

I use my iPhone 13 for all of my media consumption, my late evening couch sessions checking social media, online banking, watching an occasional video, etc.

I was hoping to get a device with a but bigger screen than my phone to bridge the two devices- to use for some of those longer consumption sessions, but also for photo editing and even some light video editing.

I picked up an iPad Air 5 on sale for $499, and a MacBook Air m1 on sale for $799- neither has been opened yet, intending to keep one and return the other.

My concerns with the iPad would be that it’s a bit too big to hold when sitting on the couch to use for very long, and that it’s s bit limited in which apps can be used and I can’t use my Luminar AI app. It also seems to overlap too much with my phone, which is so comfortable to hold and use for media consumption.

The MacBook would of course allow me to use my Luminar AI app, and it can run mobile apps as well, a bonus as there are a few I’d like to continue using.
It also has the built in keyboard and sits nicely in the lap.

The down side with it seems to be that it overlaps too much with my iMac, which is perfectly capable- just slow and can’t be used in other parts of the house.

I’m a bit torn here- I’m feeling that the MacBook feels more like the better choice as an extension of my iMac- but am I off base? Or is it silly when I have an iMac already?

I can't speak to personal experience (yet) when it comes to iPad, but that's what I'd choose in this situation. I know that I could not live without my MBP with multi window support and horsepower, but the ipad is just as capable for many tasks. I chose to go iphone pro/mbp combo but did heavily consider a mac mini/ipad/iphone combo.

It's a lot to move from one editing software to another, but Affinity just came out with Affinity 2, 99 bucks for all three programs across all devices. I've been more than happy with affinity, and i think you can just do photos by itself for cheaper.

It really just depends on what you are doing most often- if you have lots of apps and windows open then the mba will probably be better. That's the big difference really.

They make holders for ipads that can keep it at a certain height if it's uncomfortable to hold for too long.

also you might consider the built in keyboard a downside? i've found recently that i'd much rather have a bluetooth keyboard separate from the screen so i can move them around independently.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
Yep- when I first decided to pick up the iPad, my thoughts were to have a bigger device with a bit less eye strain for longer sessions where I am reading news, web browsing, and going through social media- as well as having a device that would- in such a compact form factor- allow me to do some of my photo editing and maybe even dabble in video editing.

I know the iPad can do both of those without breaking a sweat- but as noted, my disappointment came when realizing my photo editor of choice- Luminar AI- does not have an iPad app. So, I would have to go to Affinity Photo which is not expensive and is admittedly a lot more powerful than Luminar- but would require a lot of learning as it is new and is rather advanced/complex.... or go with Pixelmator photo which is rather expensive (one-time purchase of $55), but is simpler than Affinity but may not get me the same results as I do with Luminar AI.... so none of those options are great- and the MacBook would allow me to simply keep using Luminar AI- but of course in the form of a traditional laptop, not the compact little tablet that I would be able to use in the iPad.

Otherwise, I would just be trying to use the iPad like a laptop as much as possible- I wouldn't really need an Apple Pencil, though was thinking of getting a 3rd party one to use more as a stylus, not any real writing/note taking or drawing. But, not a requirement at all for me.

I will see what the test drive with each really leads me to, certainly before buying any photo editing apps for the iPad. :)
so, what is the outcome of your testing both?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.