Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dunmail

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 27, 2009
Skipton, UK
My iMac is coming to the end of its useful life, it's an early Intel based model from 2009 so fourteen years old - I bought it for a significant birthday. My iPad is of similar vintage (it's the iPad 2), let's just say I like to get as much use out of my kit as possible!

I'm long past being able to update the OS and in the last year Chrome won't update as the OS isn't up to date, or at least a new enough version.

Usage is just general browsing and games on the iPad, browsing, for the iMac - office type stuff and web development and database duties for a club I'm involved with.

Looking at the latest lineup I think I've two options:

A Macbook Air. With an external 1080p monitor (already have this) it could replace the iMac and is light enough to be a reasonable substitute for the iPad.

A Mac Mini + new iPad. Use the external monitor and that's my iMac replacement.

Both options come to around the same cost (I'm UK based).

I'm not in a super rush but equally I'm unlikely to want another year with the current setup. So could wait for a new update if it's going to appear in the next couple of months but would be happy with something that has been out for a while.

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
Different perspective; after owning many, many iPads I truly feel the iPad lineup is the most redundant product in Apple's lineup. You could get a Mac mini and MBA M1 for approx $750 USD as of yesterday and use the MBA as an iPad which I often do. If you don't have an iPhone then maybe there's an argument for an iPad but regardless of iPad (even the mini) they are often too big to hold comfortable so you default to your phone or they are too small so you use a laptop.

Reactions: JustAnExpat

mmkerc

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2014
Given your usage, I would go with the Air, and skip the iPad altogether. Initially I was a big iPad user, but I mainly used to at work to take meeting notes and occasionally share presentations. I do not think I have used it once since retiring. The portability of the Air as well as ease of connection to you "base station" makes it a simple decision.

I would however get one with at least the 512 internal & 16 GB Ram. From your usage you should not need more than that and it will last a good 10 years +

Dunmail

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 27, 2009
Skipton, UK
I've an iPhone (reasonably recent model but not bleeding edge) but ageing eyesight means I'm not happy with browsing on it for any length of time. The iPad is basically - lie in bed and do a bit of browsing so it doesn't really need to be the latest and greatest but web standards move on and increasingly websites are becoming awkward or difficult to use.

"From your usage you should not need more than that and it will last a good 10 years +"

That was another concern about the Air - battery life. Not as in how long a charge lasts but the lifetime of the battery itself. Then again the iPad still holds charge after all this time, I've never measured just how long each charge now lasts but it's not significantly different from new.

mmkerc

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2014
Interest question, antidotally I can offer the following insight. I still (or at least my wife does) use a 2013 air every day for a wide variety of of items, but generally the same usages as you. While she uses it both plugged into power and "roaming" the battery life (to recharge) is now shorter. That said, recently we were painting a room, and she had to watch a TV show; she streamed the show on the unplugged laptop for over 2 hours and still had ~60% battery.

dandeco

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2008
Brockton, MA
It depends. If you're going to be on the go a lot and don't have a regular laptop already, a MacBook Air is a great choice. The M1 Air was my first Apple Silicon Mac, because my existing laptop at the time was a late 2009 polycarbonate MacBook, and while my main computer was a 2012 quad-core i7 Mac Mini running Catalina, I needed to upgrade/replace my laptop first due to its' older age. Plus, when I'm at home and need to charge the battery, I can use the Air in clamshell/desktop mode hooked up to my Thunderbolt 3 dock and my older Apple Thunderbolt Display. In fact, due to the keyboard issues I've mentioned before, right now I can ONLY efficiently use it in clamshell mode, kind of defeating the purpose of a laptop. But next week I'm going to take it to an Apple Store to get the keyboard fixed, and later on I do want to buy an M2 Pro-equipped Mac Mini (possibly later this year or even early next year) so I can have a dedicated desktop to take the place of the 2012 i7 Mac Mini. Then I can still use the M1 Air when I'm on the go and whatnot.

dockgaze

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2022
I’m a vote for the Mac mini setup along WITH an iPad . . . . each device has software advantages/disadvantages over the other, but by having both I find I can cover all the use bases (apps and hardware). The Mac for power and complex apps/tasks - - the iPad (with Magic Keyboard) for portability, pencil use, and apps not available on the Mac (TextOnly, note taking etc). And if needed while traveling you can run the Mac desktop on the iPad (Jump-desktop app). Best of all worlds, though of course not without compromise. But as you’ll always hear around here, it totally depends on your particular use scenario and needs. Part of me would like to have a Macbook Air too . . . but at some point if the device just languishes then it’s kind of consumerist overload plain dumb, so I hold the line.

Reactions: Soondae and mr_jomo

appltech

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2020
Mac Mini (M chip nugget) because no hustle with battery over time + not that cracky if we talk about the screens))
And iPad -- not that flex as Android devices but a damn reliable one, and newer ones are tough enough to cover overall basic tasks flawlessly so shouldn't be a story as it was with iPad the 3rd)

picpicmac

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2023
My iMac is coming to the end of its useful life, it's an early Intel based model from 2009 so fourteen years old - ....

I'm long past being able to update the OS and in the last year Chrome won't update as the OS isn't up to date, or at least a new enough version.

I'm in the same boat. My iMac is even older (2007) and updates stopped long ago.

I've been holding out for a new iMac but Apple seems to be taking forever to come out with a new model. (Yes, I know rumors of an October announcement.)

So I too am thinking of a Mac Mini, probably the model with the extra ports, but I don't have a display available so that will add to the cost.

Also, I'm wondering if these new iMacs will last as long as the old ones we have. These early Intel models seem to last very well. I'm of the opinion that people turn over their electronics way too frequently. I'd like to think that this next Mac I buy will last me for at least a decade if not two.

Is that unreasonable? My current iMac is almost 17 years old.

Anyway, a Mac Mini allows one the flexibility of swapping out monitors if a monitor goes bad.

What I do wonder about with the current Mini design is the Thunderbolt port. Apple is going with USB-C for the new iPhones (rumor), and I'm familiar with being stuck with an abandoned interface type (currently I have four FireWire devices chained off of my iMac.) I'd rather not buy a Thunderbolt machine only for Apple to abandon said interface in a couple of months.

Soondae

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2012
Hua Hin, Thailand
I'm with "docgaze" 100%, after I retired I decided to travel with my iPad and magic keyboard and found that I didn't really need my MacBook Air anymore. Sold the MacBookAir and then my 2012 iMac died (on my birthday) so I replaced it with a Mac Mini (2018), wow I am so happy. I travel with the iPad and keyboard and when I'm home or at my mountain home (old Mac Mini 2011 model) they are all the computer I need.

I have been struggling with some traveling computer issues as of late, but I have pretty much decided older Mini's at my various homes makes more sense then the MBAIR.

mmkerc

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2014
I'm in the same boat. My iMac is even older (2007) and updates stopped long ago.

I've been holding out for a new iMac but Apple seems to be taking forever to come out with a new model. (Yes, I know rumors of an October announcement.)

So I too am thinking of a Mac Mini, probably the model with the extra ports, but I don't have a display available so that will add to the cost.

Also, I'm wondering if these new iMacs will last as long as the old ones we have. These early Intel models seem to last very well. I'm of the opinion that people turn over their electronics way too frequently. I'd like to think that this next Mac I buy will last me for at least a decade if not two.

Is that unreasonable? My current iMac is almost 17 years old.

Anyway, a Mac Mini allows one the flexibility of swapping out monitors if a monitor goes bad.

What I do wonder about with the current Mini design is the Thunderbolt port. Apple is going with USB-C for the new iPhones (rumor), and I'm familiar with being stuck with an abandoned interface type (currently I have four FireWire devices chained off of my iMac.) I'd rather not buy a Thunderbolt machine only for Apple to abandon said interface in a couple of months.
Starting with your last issue, Apple is under legal constrains to standardize all ports to USB-C, so the switch is happening. Like you I still have several firewire devices daisy chained to a M1 Mini so you can still use those on a new machine. The same thing applies to using Thunderbolt devices with USB-c ports you will just need to get the right hub/ adapter.

I agree with you that people turnover their electronic, (and other items) way too frequently. I still have and occasionally use an original FAT Mac with a whooping 60MB SCSI hard drive. The issue in longevity for it, or any machine is having the software to run on it. That said, any Mac you buy now barring a build/QC issue should easily last 10 years, if not longer. What is more likely to drive obsolescence is a step changes in computing power/function and your need/desire to have that capability. With the ongoing development of AI, and virtual reality I suspect a step change in the next 10 years is likely.

The biggest issue I have with all current Macs is the lack of ports. To address that issue I have both the Belkin Thunderbolt Hub, and the OWC Thunderbolt hub, plus I use two gaming monitors (Dell 32") for additional ports, and a few usb-c to usb a/b hubs.

Sorry for the long winded reply, the short answer is anything you buy today should last you at least 10 years, and likely many more assuming your needs/usage stays the same as today.

Reactions: picpicmac

richmlow

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
Hello Dunmail,

For your current usage, I would recommend the 2023 Mac mini (M2 Apple Silicon, 8-core CPU, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD storage). This computer should last you 10+ years.

Good luck in you purchasing decision!

richmlow

Dunmail

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 27, 2009
Skipton, UK
Hello Dunmail,

For your current usage, I would recommend the 2023 Mac mini (M2 Apple Silicon, 8-core CPU, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD storage). This computer should last you 10+ years.

Good luck in you purchasing decision!

richmlow
That's pretty much the decision I'm coming to :) I don't travel with a computer that much so the MB Air would be bit overkill in that regard.

I've just attached the 1080p monitor to my wife's Macbook and the quality, especially of text (whether web or an app), isn't that good. Usable but I think it will become irritating over time. So I'll likely have to budget for a 4K monitor.

M2 Mini 16Gb RAM, 512Gb SSD (£1049) with a 4K monitor (£300) is actually cheaper when compared to the MBA 13" 16Gb, 512Gb SSD (£1649) and way cheaper than the similarly specced 15" model which comes in at £1799. Add 25% to those figures to get the USD value.

Reactions: Soondae

Soondae

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2012
Hua Hin, Thailand
I'm also leaning toward a M2 mini with the 16gb 512 SSD configuration, I just wished they offered an option with more ports either than the Pro version which I clearly don't need.

Reactions: richmlow

wegster

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2006
I've just attached the 1080p monitor to my wife's Macbook and the quality, especially of text (whether web or an app), isn't that good. Usable but I think it will become irritating over time. So I'll likely have to budget for a 4K monitor.

M2 Mini 16Gb RAM, 512Gb SSD (£1049) with a 4K monitor (£300) is actually cheaper when compared to the MBA 13" 16Gb, 512Gb SSD (£1649) and way cheaper than the similarly specced 15" model which comes in at £1799. Add 25% to those figures to get the USD value.
This shouldn't be surprising - it's down to the PPI (pixels per inch), with the MacBook being typically 200+ PPI regardless of scaled resolution, e.g. a 2015 MBP's Retina display is at 2880x1800 which works out to 220 PPI, and the M1 MBPs had a PPI of ~250 or so.

Some people seem more susceptible to noticing this that others. I can tell the difference between my MBP screen sitting right next to a 38" ultra wide, 3840x1600 which works out well for screen real estate/productivity but with a much lower PPI closer to 110, but it doesn't bother me all that much. I gave my wife a fairly nice Viewsonic 27" QHD 1440p display, which has a higher PPI vs my 38" ultra wide, but she noticed it immediately.

Battery replacements aren't all that much, although inconvenient, but for what you described, I think the mini + iPad are reasonably, with the only issue being your mention of web development, as any iPad just isn't ideal for that IMO, unless it's something fully self-contained/web UI for editing, WordPress and the like. If not, and you're doing 'portable coding' (meaning moving around somewhere not your desk), the MBA may start to make more sense again over the mini. With what you mentioned about your eyes, I'd still lean towards also having an external display at home, but YMMV.

Note later iPads for most usage, hold up pretty well over time, so don't feel 'pushed' into latest and greatest - you might consider something used with AppleCare still active on it for either/any of the purchases, or a refurbished from Apple although their savings tend to be on the lighter side. I work in tech so have had a handful of 'forced' upgrades (running out of RAM and/or storage), and typically get 3.5-5 years from most MacBook Pros, but for iPads, had an iPad Air 2 <for a good long while> and it was still 'fine enough' for most things, then picked up a used 12.9 iPad Pro 3rd gen, which is still perfectly fine today. Were I looking for an iPad Pro today, I'd probably go for the first M1-based model, noting the M-series chips are for the most part based on the various prior Apple cores (A13 etc. in phones and iPads), but that should give you quite a while of being useful short of as someone mentioned, growing AR/VR and perhaps higher resolution video editing types of usage.

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
Low resolution screens are terrible with recent macOS. You will certainly want a 4K (or better) screen.

Alameda

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2012
Thread update :)

Went for the M2 Mini with 512Gb SSD and 16Gb RAM and an LG 27UL550 27" 4K monitor. Just waiting for the Mini to arrive.
The LG supports 4K60 with 10-bit color. Easiest way to ensure this performance is to attach the Mac to the display using a DisplayPort cable, not HDMI.

Reactions: Soondae

dandeco

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2008
Brockton, MA
later on I do want to buy an M2 Pro-equipped Mac Mini (possibly later this year or even early next year) so I can have a dedicated desktop to take the place of the 2012 i7 Mac Mini. Then I can still use the M1 Air when I'm on the go and whatnot.
Well, buying a higher-end Mini is definitely going to have to wait, maybe until later this year, since I had to say goodbye to my old used BMW 528i from 2001 and then buy a 2007 Toyota Camry. With that said, Toyotas are like Macs, in that they're built to last when treated properly.
But until later this year, I will most likely be able to get by using the M1 Air in "clamshell" mode when I feel like using a desktop, as it still handles digital media production pretty well. Plus, there's a chance Apple may refresh the Mini line with the M3-series chips this year.

Dunmail

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 27, 2009
Skipton, UK
The LG supports 4K60 with 10-bit color. Easiest way to ensure this performance is to attach the Mac to the display using a DisplayPort cable, not HDMI.
Ta. Another purchase then!

The delivery date was stated as 6th March but it arrived today about five minutes before I was due to head out for a medical appointment. Now back (all OK scan wise 👍) and getting things set up:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.