Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ultraxmode

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 3, 2011
Athens, GR
Hello everyone,

I have a Macbook Air Original (2008) and lately I ran on some problems. I will give you the steps from which the errors occured.

1. I worked for 2 hours on my Macbook Air, at night and I left it on for the whole night (I fell asleep)
2. When I woke up (at morning) the Macbook Air was turned off.
3. I tried to turn it on but nothing, the Macbook Air refused to turn on.
4. The magsafe light was dim-green.
5. I left it without the magsafe on for some days.
6. After some days, I plugged the magsafe on, the light turned on (yellow).
7. I turned on the Macbook Air, everything was working! Did not have problems.
8. The battery icon showed that the battery was at 0%
9. Tried to shutdown Macbook Air from the drop down menu.
10. Macbook Air restarted instead of shut down.
11. Unplugged the magsafe.
12. PLugged again the magsafe. Dim-green light. Nothing. Macbook Air did not turn on.
13. Left it for 3-4 days without plugging the magsafe. Battery swelled up. Removed the battery.
14. Tried to turn it on again. Magsafe light yellow -> Macbook Air works. --> tried to shutdown -> Restart Loop instead of shutting down.

The last step (No 14) is the problem I have right now. The Macbook Air does not have a battery anymore (I removed it, it was swelled up). So..

When I let the Macbook Air for 2 days alone, then, the light of the magsafe turns yellow (bright yellow) and Macbook Air turns on and working in Mac OS X (I reinstalled Mac OS X Mountain Lion just to see if there was an OS problem. The problems remain.). When I try to shutdown the Macbook Air, it restarts instead of shutting down. If I unplug the magsafe and try to plug it again on, the light goes dim-green and cannot turn on. If I let the Macbook Air alone for another 2 days, it turns on without a problem. Still, cannot shutdown. Restart loop. Again and again.

Tried the Command + Option + P + R when turn on Macbook Air, pressing the keys for a period of time that I hear the "Mac OS chime" twice. The problem remains.

Can you please help me? What can I do to save my Macbook?

Thank you very much.

ultraxmode

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 3, 2011
Athens, GR
OK, I tried the SMC Reset. The problem remains. But the magsafe light is bright-green now. MBA is not turning on though.

Strange things.

Update : One more thing. The sequence of the things I noticed is :

1. Magsafe is unplugged.
2. Magsafe plugged in (bright-green light)
3. MBA turns on, on each own, working like a champ.
4. Shutting Down (Restart Loop)
5. Unplug Magsafe for 1-3 seconds
6. Plug Magsafe (bright-green light) MBA does NOT turn on.
7. Unplug Magsafe for 20-30 seconds.
8. Plug Magsafe (dim-green light) MBA does not turn on.
9. Leave MBA without the Magsafe plugged in for a day.
10. Plugging Magsafe on to the MBA (bright-green light)
11. MBA turns on, on each own, working 100%.
12. Shutdown --> Restart Loop.

:(

(battery is removed. MBA has no battery)

Last edited:

mlemonds

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2008
Lexington, KY
When you say restart loop, does it successfully boot the OS or does it keep chiming and powering of/on?

IF it does boot into the OS, do you get a message that the machine recovered from an error?

ultraxmode

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 3, 2011
Athens, GR
When you say restart loop, does it successfully boot the OS or does it keep chiming and powering of/on?

IF it does boot into the OS, do you get a message that the machine recovered from an error?

It boots successfully the OS. No, I dont get a message that the machine recovered from an error.

madrich

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2012
World Class City of Chicago
OK, I tried the SMC Reset. The problem remains. But the magsafe light is bright-green now. MBA is not turning on though.

Strange things.

Update : One more thing. The sequence of the things I noticed is :

1. Magsafe is unplugged.
2. Magsafe plugged in (bright-green light)
3. MBA turns on, on each own, working like a champ.
4. Shutting Down (Restart Loop)
5. Unplug Magsafe for 1-3 seconds
6. Plug Magsafe (bright-green light) MBA does NOT turn on.
7. Unplug Magsafe for 20-30 seconds.
8. Plug Magsafe (dim-green light) MBA does not turn on.
9. Leave MBA without the Magsafe plugged in for a day.
10. Plugging Magsafe on to the MBA (bright-green light)
11. MBA turns on, on each own, working 100%.
12. Shutdown --> Restart Loop.

:(

(battery is removed. MBA has no battery)

Sounds like the Mother Board died! Take it to the store they can run tests.

Reactions: ultraxmode

Benjamin L

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2017
Hello everyone,

I have a Macbook Air Original (2008) and lately I ran on some problems. I will give you the steps from which the errors occured.

1. I worked for 2 hours on my Macbook Air, at night and I left it on for the whole night (I fell asleep)
2. When I woke up (at morning) the Macbook Air was turned off.
3. I tried to turn it on but nothing, the Macbook Air refused to turn on.
4. The magsafe light was dim-green.
5. I left it without the magsafe on for some days.
6. After some days, I plugged the magsafe on, the light turned on (yellow).
7. I turned on the Macbook Air, everything was working! Did not have problems.
8. The battery icon showed that the battery was at 0%
9. Tried to shutdown Macbook Air from the drop down menu.
10. Macbook Air restarted instead of shut down.
11. Unplugged the magsafe.
12. PLugged again the magsafe. Dim-green light. Nothing. Macbook Air did not turn on.
13. Left it for 3-4 days without plugging the magsafe. Battery swelled up. Removed the battery.
14. Tried to turn it on again. Magsafe light yellow -> Macbook Air works. --> tried to shutdown -> Restart Loop instead of shutting down.

The last step (No 14) is the problem I have right now. The Macbook Air does not have a battery anymore (I removed it, it was swelled up). So..

When I let the Macbook Air for 2 days alone, then, the light of the magsafe turns yellow (bright yellow) and Macbook Air turns on and working in Mac OS X (I reinstalled Mac OS X Mountain Lion just to see if there was an OS problem. The problems remain.). When I try to shutdown the Macbook Air, it restarts instead of shutting down. If I unplug the magsafe and try to plug it again on, the light goes dim-green and cannot turn on. If I let the Macbook Air alone for another 2 days, it turns on without a problem. Still, cannot shutdown. Restart loop. Again and again.

Tried the Command + Option + P + R when turn on Macbook Air, pressing the keys for a period of time that I hear the "Mac OS chime" twice. The problem remains.

Can you please help me? What can I do to save my Macbook?

Thank you very much.

i'm sure you tried but i failed to see it mentioned so i will put it as a solution

1:) install a new battery
2:) reset both Smc and Pram
3:) boot into os once and then restart machine
4:) then try turning off machine

i think that a few apple products have that problem/"feature" where it turns on when charger is connected i wouldn't worry to much about that but a new battery should prevent if from restarting when you power it down . Also don't cheap out on the battery/charger get a real one. i suggest from amazon they have a fantastic return policy if your laptops issues aren't adressed by my suggestion then at least you can send back the battery !

good luck !

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.