Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ipodtouchy333

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 15, 2007
US
Hello, I'm considering getting a macbook air, maybe in a few months. Right now I have a 2.4 ghz PC. I am wondering what the speed difference between my PC and the CORE 2 DUO 1.6 ghz macbook air. I am guessing because the air is CORE 2 DUO it is faster but how much faster. Thanks a lot!

JDR

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2008
Chicago, IL
Well, by comparing 2.4 to 1.6 outright you can see the difference. It also depends on how your PC is set up...how old it is, amount of memory, etc. If you get the Air, will it be a primary or secondary computer? Lots of pictures/music (among other things) can slow down a computer...

Hope that helps,
JDR

wentwj

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2006
Hello, I'm considering getting a macbook air, maybe in a few months. Right now I have a 2.4 ghz PC. I am wondering what the speed difference between my PC and the CORE 2 DUO 1.6 ghz macbook air. I am guessing because the air is CORE 2 DUO it is faster but how much faster. Thanks a lot!

It depends on what 2.4ghz it is. Is your PC a dual core? If so than the PC will be quite a bit faster. If it's single core.. then it's sorta hard to compare.

If your PC is single core, then it's similar to comparing the efficiency a one lane highway at 65mph and a two lane highway at 50mph.

ipodtouchy333

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 15, 2007
US
ok thank you, my PC is Dell that is about 5 years old I believe. It has 1.25 GB of ram and about 80gb hard drive. It still works ok so I would be using the air as my second computer. One more question, would I be able to transfer my itunes and a few movies over to my new air and how would I do that? I hope you respond again because you sound like you know what you are talking about. Ha

Thanks

JDR

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2008
Chicago, IL
One more question, would I be able to transfer my itunes and a few movies over to my new air and how would I do that?

Yep, you're able to transfer any information you have on your PC to your new Mac.

For more info, see here: http://www.apple.com/getamac/movetomac/. I would recommend having the Genius do it, unless you feel confident to move it yourself and not screw anything up.

Regards,
JDR

ahaxton

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2008
It'll be a crazy change for you, not only the awesomeness of going mac! but an Air! woo lol. You'll love it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.