Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Airmac15

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 2, 2020
Hi, i currently own a macbook air 13'.

My mac randomly shuts down with 50% of battery power left, and sometimes when it turns off it does not turn on again unless i connect the charger. i used coconutbattery to view my battery information (shown bellow). It states my battery is indeed in 'good' condition and my charge cycles are not even 600 yet. I often also see that my battery percentage jumps up or down when i connect the charger as well.

Any tips or advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thankyou.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-05-03 at 1.32.31 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-03 at 1.32.31 pm.png
    122.7 KB · Views: 355

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Looks to me like the battery needs to be changed. It's not unusual for the battery readouts to become inaccurate as the battery approaches the time for replacement.

If an SMC reset or battery calibration doesn't help, I recommend replacing the battery.

Reactions: 4sallypat

hobowankenobi

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2015
on the land line mr. smith.
Have you calibrated your battery recently?

Needs be done once in a while to keep the charge % accurate. Also helps eye ball a bad battery.

If you do decide to replace the battery....beware the cheap no-name options. With batteries, we usually get what we pay for.

avz

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
Hi, i currently own a macbook air 13'.

My mac randomly shuts down with 50% of battery power left, and sometimes when it turns off it does not turn on again unless i connect the charger. i used coconutbattery to view my battery information (shown bellow). It states my battery is indeed in 'good' condition and my charge cycles are not even 600 yet. I often also see that my battery percentage jumps up or down when i connect the charger as well.

Any tips or advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thankyou.

Did you ever used Windows on your MacBook? Nothing against Windows, just trying to figure out if I am the only one who got consistently bad battery health by using Windows on a MacBook.

Airmac15

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 2, 2020
Did you ever used Windows on your MacBook? Nothing against Windows, just trying to figure out if I am the only one who got consistently bad battery health by using Windows on a MacBook.
no i didnt, i think its just that my battery got issues unfortunately.
[automerge]1588855410[/automerge]
@hobowankenobi thanks!, i'll take a look at them.

hobowankenobi

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2015
The battery has a maximum capacity of 3150 mAh which is substantially lower than the maximum capacity of a new, original Apple battery.

Yep. With a calibration...the percentage should match the actual battery capacity.

The shutdowns at about 50% sound about right...if the calculation of remaining time is based on 100% capacity (when new), and the battery is now only storing about 50% of its original power capacity.

Reactions: Audit13

avz

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
Yep. With a calibration...the percentage should match the actual battery capacity.

The shutdowns at about 50% sound about right...if the calculation of remaining time is based on 100% capacity (when new), and the battery is now only storing about 50% of its original power capacity.

This is not right. I have a battery with a 60% health(MBP9,2) and it still gives me a warning at about 5% before it is going to sleep. It has 1709 cycles but it obviously aged gracefully. I don't think I ever calibrated it.

hobowankenobi

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2015
This is not right. I have a battery with a 60% health(MBP9,2) and it still gives me a warning at about 5% before it is going to sleep. It has 1709 cycles but it obviously aged gracefully. I don't think I ever calibrated it.

Perhaps. The battery could be failing.

A lot of variables, including how it was charged/discharged (leaving a laptop plugged in all the time in a desk set up for instance), or running it down to zero all the time can both effect—sometimes dramatically—how far out of calibration a battery can be.

The easiest way to find out...is to calibrate it and see if it gets down to close to zero before it powers off. I'm am not aware of an easier way to verify this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.