Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jfriedman8

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 8, 2008
I just purchased the 1.8GHz 64GB SSD refurb, but I would like more hard drive space. The original SSD was a SATA connection right? I know the HDD was PATA.... Anyway, I cannot find a 120GB HDD in a 1.8" form factor with SATA connections ANYWHERE. I know Toshiba makes them, but if anyone can point me in the direction to get a new hard drive for my rev A MBA that would be very helpful. I do not need a SSD, but would like a HDD of at least 120GB. I went with the refurb because I wanted the better processor since I will need it at times.

glitch44

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2006
I just purchased the 1.8GHz 64GB SSD refurb, but I would like more hard drive space. The original SSD was a SATA connection right? I know the HDD was PATA.... Anyway, I cannot find a 120GB HDD in a 1.8" form factor with SATA connections ANYWHERE. I know Toshiba makes them, but if anyone can point me in the direction to get a new hard drive for my rev A MBA that would be very helpful. I do not need a SSD, but would like a HDD of at least 120GB. I went with the refurb because I wanted the better processor since I will need it at times.

All Rev A are PATA drives (both SSD and HDD). There are other threads on HDD replacement in the forum so you might want to do a search...

RayK

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2005
That's my only concern about my new refurb rev a air. I got the 64gb ssd as well. I think it'll be fine for me with what I use it for, but I could always use a bigger one. External storage sure is cheap though!

jfriedman8

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 8, 2008
So can anyone refer a reliable online store to check out for one of these drives?

shokunin

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2005
The Rev A MBA uses a PATA interface, but uses a ZIF connector to the hard drive (SSD or HDD). Even in the Rev B, while technically uses a SATA interface, it does not use standard SATA connectors and apparently uses a LIF connector to the hard drives. Even in Rev B, it'll be difficult to find a replacement SATA drive that uses a LIF connector versus the traditional (bulky) SATA connector.

jfriedman8

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 8, 2008
Ah, thanks for the explanation. Just out of curiosity.... If I had a 160GB iPod with a broken screen but working hard drive, could that fit?

glitch44

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2006
Ah, thanks for the explanation. Just out of curiosity.... If I had a 160GB iPod with a broken screen but working hard drive, could that fit?

There's another thread called, "Think the 160GB 1.8" iPod Drive can be crammed in an Air?". I'd start there...

MacLet

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2009
SSD for Macbook Air

My friend told me a company called Foremay that supply Mac compliance SSD. I went to their website http://www.foremay.net, and did find 1.8" ZIF SSD that is good for MacBook Air Rev. A. They also have 1.8" micro SATA SSD that is for MacBook Air Rev. B, which I bought one. I can feel significant the speed boost after I made the upgrade.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.