Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thezine

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2009
Hello Everyone,

Thank you all for your contribution in the forum ... it really helps.

I just got a 1.6 Ghz 120 Go Rev B MBA today and I am looking to change the HDD to SSD this week.

Where can I find a good and complete tutorial with pictures or a video showing how to make the operation ?

Thank you very much for your suggestions.

------------------------------------------------------------
Mac Pro (Woodcrest)
MBA (1.6)
iPhone 3G (8Go)
iPhone 3GS(16Go)

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
As far as I know, there is NOT a single replacement SSD with an LIF connector that will work in a rev B MBA without a lot of soldering with the SATA-II/LIF connections.

There is a thread on it somewhere in the MBA section. It's labeled something like "Micro SATA conversion."

Zorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2006
Ohio
Anyone know if this is possible for sure? I have a Rev. B air and I want to put a SSD in it.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
In this thread, a user found a reference to a Runcore branded 1.8" SATA drive available with a LIF interface. The Runcore store has pricing info.

$479 is really expensive considering Apple only charges $300 more for the SSD MBA over HDD. And they get 2.13 over 1.86 CPU. I think the absolute best solution is for people to just buy their MBA with an SSD. Same situation when refurbished.

But, it is really nice to have another solution for those willing to pay. Based on an xBench performance posted, this Runcore SSD is faster than Apple's own by a large margin.

I think a cheaper solution for most with an HDD MBA is to sell their current version and buy a new MBA with SSD.

If a 256 GB SSD becomes available for the MBA, I will be on it in a heartbeat. But for just a little faster performance, it's not worth the upgrade hassle. I would think Apple will be ready with a 256 GB SSD MBA before it's available for a current MBA.

EDIT- Wow, the read speeds are actually nearly double. It's more impressive than I initially considered. To those out there stating the HDD is similar in speed to the Apple SSD, this tests shows Apple's SSD is faster than HDD by 5x to 10x on read tests!

Anyone is crazy to really believe that the HDD doesn't slow down the MBA considerably or by 80%!!! Let's face it, the SSD is the number one way to speed up a computer. It's the bottleneck of the whole system. Apple's own SSD improves read speeds by 5x to 10x over 4200 rpm HDD.

I wonder how much this Runcore SSD would improve boot and shutdown by? My MBA boots in less than 20 seconds and shuts down in about one second. I never get a spinning beachball on my MBA as it is. I suppose this could be really worth it to buy a new Runcore for $479 and sell old Apple Samsung SSD on eBay??? It may even bring the whole cost of the Runcore SSD? A lot of people that realize later they should have bought the SSD and would probably pay close to $400-$500 for the original SSD...

good find.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
My original-model Air's HD just died. How can I tell what HDs and/or SSDs are compatible? (I'll probably want to stick with HD just to save $$$.)

Is this company a reputable source? Is $245 a good price for a replacement 80 GB?
http://www.myservice.com/macbookair.html

Thanks in advance!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.