Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

azaline

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2018
So, in the process of trying to clean up my computer this week, I've somehow made my problem worse. Yesterday, I had 36 GB available of space. I went through the process of removing nearly 10GB of material from my computer in videos, pictures, documents, and unused apps. Now, however, I have even less storage space available on my Mac, after emptying trash permanently as well.

What really concerns me, though, is that 'System' is taking up more than half of my total storage, at 63.71GB.

What do I do to clear these out? Why do I have less storage after deleting everything I could? All articles I found tried to push various Mac Cleaner apps on me, which I know cause more problems than fix them.

Storage screen and laptop specs attached.

kp4GPp
nzTMqU

[doublepost=1536701838][/doublepost]
Screen Shot 2018-09-11 at 5.32.25 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-09-11 at 5.35.52 PM.png

hobowankenobi

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2015
on the land line mr. smith.
There are a few third party tools that show all files/folders sorted by size, which is hugely helpful.

My favorite for ease of use is Omni Disk Sweeper. You simple run it (let it scan), and then review data to see what is eating space....and then decide what to do about it.

Once you see the culprits, folks here can answer any questions about what is safe to remove.

BTW, good on you for not getting any "cleaning" software....too many are useless or worse. Disk Sweeper just shows files in a way that is very hard to get in the Finder. Won't do anything else, costs nothing, sells nothing. Been using it for many years with no issues.

Oh, and it has a delete button. No need to use it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.