Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bonbon20

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 6, 2017
Sofia, Bulgaria
Hello. I know this thread is so popular and yet so annoying. Anyway, I am trying to help a friend with choosing his laptop for college but I found myself in trouble trying to decide which one is better.
We are talking about these exact models:

1. MacBook Pro 13" mid 2012
- i7 3520m 2.9GHz
- 8 GB ram
- samsung SSD
- HD 4000

2. MacBook Air 13" 2015/2016
- i7 5650u 2.2GHz
- 8 GB ram
- default SSD
- HD 6000

As you can see we are talking about the highest models of both laptops. Both i7s, both with SSDs, both 8GB ram. We do not take prices into account, let's just talk specs!
My friend is a regular college student, doing word, web browsing, youtube, movies. Occasionally light editing and light gaming. Neither one is a gaming rig, nor a powerhouse, but generally speaking which one should be better? I am thinking that the age of the pro makes it equal to the air (in terms of power), am i right?
Looking forward to your personal opinions!

deany

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2012
North Wales
Hello. I know this thread is so popular and yet so annoying. Anyway, I am trying to help a friend with choosing his laptop for college but I found myself in trouble trying to decide which one is better.
We are talking about these exact models:

1. MacBook Pro 13" mid 2012
- i7 3520m 2.9GHz
- 8 GB ram
- samsung SSD
- HD 4000

2. MacBook Air 13" 2015/2016
- i7 5650u 2.2GHz
- 8 GB ram
- default SSD
- HD 6000

As you can see we are talking about the highest models of both laptops. Both i7s, both with SSDs, both 8GB ram. We do not take prices into account, let's just talk specs!
My friend is a regular college student, doing word, web browsing, youtube, movies. Occasionally light editing and light gaming. Neither one is a gaming rig, nor a powerhouse, but generally speaking which one should be better? I am thinking that the age of the pro makes it equal to the air (in terms of power), am i right?
Looking forward to your personal opinions!

Hi
With macOS Sierra 2016 being supported:
Supported Macs
Here are the Mac models that are compatible with macOS Sierra:

• MacBook (Late 2009 and later)
  • iMac (Late 2009 and later)
  • MacBook Air (2010 and later)
  • MacBook Pro (2010 and later)
  • Mac mini (2010 and later)
  • Mac Pro (2010 and later)
Apple appear to say for mbp and Air "beyond 6 years we don't support"
Based on that, your mbp spec the machine would not be supported by approx Sept/Oct 2018, so just over a year.
Therefore I'd go with the Air, as it should be good for macOS upgrades and supported till 2021,assuming these are the only two options on offer, that you quote.

(I've got the i5 2015 rMBP 13" and couldn't be happier.)
Cheers

Last edited:
Reactions: bonbon20

bonbon20

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 6, 2017
Sofia, Bulgaria
Hi
With macOS Sierra 2016 being supported:
Supported Macs
Here are the Mac models that are compatible with macOS Sierra:

• MacBook (Late 2009 and later)
  • iMac (Late 2009 and later)
  • MacBook Air (2010 and later)
  • MacBook Pro (2010 and later)
  • Mac mini (2010 and later)
  • Mac Pro (2010 and later)
Apple appear to say for mbp and Air "beyond 6 years we don't support"
Based on that, your mbp spec the machine would not be supported by approx Sept/Oct 2018, so just over a year.
Therefore I'd go with the Air, as it should be good for macOS upgrades and supported till 2021,assuming these are the only two options on offer, that you quote.

(I've got the i5 2015 rMBP 13" and couldn't be happier.)
Cheers
Thank you, it makes sense! :)

Reactions: deany

deany

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2012
North Wales
Thank you, it makes sense! :)

I think I have got the upgrade year math wrong by 12 months. The mbp would be okay next year 2018 (less 6 yrs) but 2019 maybe a problem.
I'm sure you get the idea though.
The mbp would be supported for 2 years, the Air for 4 years so twice as long.
Hope it works out for your friend.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.