Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BigStrip

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 14, 2009
I'm ready to purchase my first mac. I was just going to buy the macbook for $1000 but my friend convinced me to get the pro for the $200 difference. I went to the apple store and love the pro but didnt buy yet, I went down the street to Best Buy and they have a Macbook Air 13" 1.6/120gb on clearence NIB for $980. I'm very intriged but I'm worried about the speed. This will be my main computer for now, I would like to buy an iMac later for the house but can't afford both right now. Opinions?

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
It all depends on your needs, as the Air and the Pro are tailored to different customers.

Just look at the specs and ports, and see what you mind find useful, and what not.

Personally I would love the Air, but only as a second machine, as the absence of ports are limiting for my use.

But maybe only one USB port will be enough for you.

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
As your main computer get the Pro. The Air is a nice machine but I've always seen it as an accessory computer (aka non-primary). And if you're concerned about speed, then I am not sure why this question is being asked.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
If it's your main computer, go with the Pro. I can't recommend the Air unless it is at least the new SSD model (and as long as the screen has no line issue). The Pro will last you much longer, and the battery is just awesome.

Then you can simply add the LED screen, and you are set.

darrellishere

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2007
I have the 1.6 120gb and its great! speed is just like a normal mac, and you can download coolbook for the extra CPU Power needed to run the most demanding HD stuff.

Its a cracking little machine in its own right even without the ssd! I couldn't justify swapping this yet for an ssd model as it just dose everything really well.
Boot times are slow, but thats it!

If you plan on doing, stuff on the air like aperture or imovie, etc then I would recommend you look for the SSD Model/Refurb. You would be spoilt with that!

"Their are loads of benefits to the macbook pro, the screen, battery, SD Card slot, but you can't slip it down the side of the sofa or hold it vertically on your chest :) I love it!!"

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
Having owned all three versions of the MBA, I can definitely recommend that you ONLY buy an MBA if you can afford the SSD version rev B or newer...

I would recommend you stay away from the HDD version as it's just too slow. With the new SSD version out, and the price cuts, one can now buy the refurbished rev B with 1.86 and SSD for $1449 refurbished. I would highly recommend that over the HDD. Again, I would say if you cannot afford the SSD, buy a MacBook PRO!

The speed differences are night and day. With the MBP, you can upgrade later, but with the MBA, you will be stuck with the slow rpm HDD forever.

Good luck...

mls64

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2009
Absolutely no question, if you are using the Macbook as your main computer, get the Pro. I went with the 13" Pro and am very happy with it.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
I'm ready to purchase my first mac. I was just going to buy the macbook for $1000 but my friend convinced me to get the pro for the $200 difference. I went to the apple store and love the pro but didnt buy yet, I went down the street to Best Buy and they have a Macbook Air 13" 1.6/120gb on clearence NIB for $980. I'm very intriged but I'm worried about the speed. This will be my main computer for now, I would like to buy an iMac later for the house but can't afford both right now. Opinions?

If you're posting in the MBP section, you probably want an MBP. Also, if you cannot afford the SSD in MBA, stay away from it.

I use an MBA as my primary Mac, BUT I am a business Pro... not a graphics/IT Pro. I do feel the 2.13 GHz MBA with SSD is plenty of Mac for me. I typically have five apps open at one time. I use Word/Pages, Excel/Numbers, Keynote, Safari, Email, iLife, iTunes, sometimes Photoshop and Dreamweaver... and for personal stuff iMovie and iPhoto in iLife. It really runs all of those apps fine and well.

I think the MBA is fine for most Mac users, but it absolutely has to be the SSD version. The SSD makes up for the other component deficiencies. The HDD version is so very slow, it's not fun in any way. The SSD version is fast to boot, fast to open apps, and generally fast with normal processes.

Good luck with your new Mac whichever route you go.

CalMin

Contributor
Nov 8, 2007
I had an Air. I loved it, but ultimately found it too constraining for the stuff that I do with computers. I thought I would be OK because I have an iMac for heavy lifting tasks. In the end I just felt frustrated by the lack of HD space and HD video playback (on the 1st Gen).

I got a unibody 2.4 then a 2.53 MBP. I couldn't be happier.

upinflames900

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2009
Main computer- MBP
Showoff computer - MBA

The Air is really designed just for extreme portability and to show up as the thinnest laptop. The MBP is more functional and more powerful. Plus you are missing a DVD drive on the Air which could come in handy.

stoconnell

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2009
Rockville (Despite REM's plea.)
Definitely the Pro. Sure, the Air looks awesome, but it's still a bit of a joke of a computer with 3 ports.

It's not the number of ports, but how you use them :)

In all seriousness, you have to know your usage patterns and make sure they fit with the MBA. If you aren't sure, or think they may change over time, get the MBP. I don't think you can go too wrong either way. Enjoy whatever machine you choose.

isaaclimdc

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
It's not the number of ports, but how you use them :)

In all seriousness, you have to know your usage patterns and make sure they fit with the MBA. If you aren't sure, or think they may change over time, get the MBP. I don't think you can go too wrong either way. Enjoy whatever machine you choose.

I agree, but some devices simply cannot function off a USB extension hub. But I see you've got the 128GB SSD. How much was that upgrade? That's what turns any notebook into a hellova beast.

stoconnell

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2009
Rockville (Despite REM's plea.)
I agree, but some devices simply cannot function off a USB extension hub. But I see you've got the 128GB SSD. How much was that upgrade? That's what turns any notebook into a hellova beast.

And that's why the Air is not for everyone.

I got the SSD. Unfortunately, I got mine in late Mar 2009 or roughly 3 months before the price drop and spec increase.. ouchies. Then again, I did get an extra 3 months with it; however, all things being equal, I think I'd rather have ~ $700 back.

I see you are in the 'burgh. Good year for Pens and Stillers fans ;)

BigStrip

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 14, 2009
Thanks for all the input guys! I'm def going with the pro, its just hard to pass up such a great price on a MBA, if anyone is interested the Best Buy in Birmingham, AL has some of the 1.6/120gb for $980. Store 383. you can get your local BB to call them and get them to ship it to your local store. I'm pumped about entering the world of Apple!

MacProSean

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2009
Go for the Pro!

I would go for the pro although the price is high, every penny is worth it! trust me. If you wanna save on dough I would get the Pro but with lower specs but I have a pro as you can see in my signature and they are outstanding but if you are someone like a traveling businessman or a person who goes out alot and needs there computer get the Air, I believe its in 2.0 GHz now, but it all depends on YOUR needs. But I'd go for the Pro because of the more usage, speed, reliability and assurance it wont crack in half when you drop it!

bossxii

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
Kansas City
Thanks for all the input guys! I'm def going with the pro, its just hard to pass up such a great price on a MBA, if anyone is interested the Best Buy in Birmingham, AL has some of the 1.6/120gb for $980. Store 383. you can get your local BB to call them and get them to ship it to your local store. I'm pumped about entering the world of Apple!

Congrats on your decision, you will be very happy with your MBP. I went thru the same thing MBA vs MBP just a few weeks ago (for the 2nd time) lol. After owning the Rev B/SSD model it was fun to use but annoying to listen to the jet engines (fans) kick in when trying to watch some Hulu or Netflix movies. This new 13" MBP feel nice and solid, the hinge is 100x better, Glass trackpad and screen all have confirmed I made the right choice. MBA has it's place for certain people but I think after reading so many posts here and on other forums it's pretty clear that if you have to question yourself very long, the MBP is the right way to go.

MBA owners know they want the MBA and exactly why they want the MBA and willing to deal with it's shortcomings based on their need for portability. I had fun using it, and am glad I was able to experience it, but the MBP is the one for me. Welcome to the Mac (Apple) world!

tempusfugit

macrumors 65816
May 21, 2009
Chicago
Absolutely no question, if you are using the Macbook as your main computer, get the Pro. I went with the 13" Pro and am very happy with it.

ditto. this thing is amazing and ultra portable. it has the same basic dimensions of the air, just not as thing but its still by far the sleekest and thinnest notebook ive ever owned.

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
Definitely the Pro. Sure, the Air looks awesome, but it's still a bit of a joke of a computer with 3 ports.

Some of us don't find it a "joke" at all. I'm switching to a MacBook Pro for other reasons, but I've had my MacBook Air ever since they were introduced, and I've never once needed a port I didn't have. People use computers different ways.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.