Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fkicks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 8, 2024
I recently, 5 days ago now, spilled water all over my keyboard on my Macbook air and now it won’t turn on. When I connect my charger, it lights up green but I am pretty the keyboard doesn’t work because i’ve tried holding the power button, resetting the SMC by pressing the keys and it won’t respond to anything when I use the keyboard. Does the charger lighting up mean that there’s still hope? Would an external keyboard be able to connect even if the computer is shut down? Thank you

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
Would an external keyboard be able to connect even if the computer is shut down?
No. Computer needs to be on for external keyboard to connect/work.

Take to Apple Store or Authorized Repair shop and have them diagnose the issue. Unfortunately, that type of water damage won’t be covered by warranty but be out of pocket.

Reactions: Fkicks

xboxbml

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2015
I recently, 5 days ago now, spilled water all over my keyboard on my Macbook air and now it won’t turn on. When I connect my charger, it lights up green but I am pretty the keyboard doesn’t work because i’ve tried holding the power button, resetting the SMC by pressing the keys and it won’t respond to anything when I use the keyboard. Does the charger lighting up mean that there’s still hope? Would an external keyboard be able to connect even if the computer is shut down? Thank you
Did that with mine a few years ago with wine.. killed it but SSD was still good. Bought another 2015 Air off FBMP and was back up next day..You didn't mention what model year it was.. If it's beyond 2017 the SSD is soldered in so you would need to do as Bigwaff said and take to Apple or reputable repair shop. Hopefully you had a good backup of some sort of all your data.. I broke my own rule 2 days ago and did this last 12.7.4 Monterey update and didn't do a backup before I did it. The update messed up my SSD. I had a backup from 1/13 I did. Wiped SSD and restored direct to 12.7.4 in recovery and Migration Assistant recovered my data from 1/13. Always have a backup!!! Good luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: Saturn007

Saturn007

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2010
Any success after a week of letting it dry out?

It's a painful lesson, one that many of us have learned the hard way — “don't drink and drive your Mac”!

Good luck with it and let us know which model it is and what the resolution ends up being!

JD2015

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2014
Similar thing happened to me but I had Apple Care which saved me a fortune as needed some electronics replaced. Without Apple Care would have cost me £600-800. With Apple care was £200 to repair it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.