Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macjram

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2008
I'm not going to lie, both the 15" and 17" with matte screens both look hideous to me. I actually like the glassy screen. You might say "oh man the glare must be killer!" but it really isn't. When you first go outside, of course you notice it, but after using it for more than a minute, your eyes adjust and focus on what you're doing on the computer and not your ugly mug.

the 17 matte looks hideous, but the "Post Pics of 15 Matte" thread or w/e its called has some really sexy pictures of the 15 matte.

NikFinn

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2009
MA
the 17 matte looks hideous, but the "Post Pics of 15 Matte" thread or w/e its called has some really sexy pictures of the 15 matte.

I feel like it looks exactly the same..but smaller haha. If the keyboard wasn't black then the silver of the matte would probably look better, but the black outline of the glassy screen accenting the black keys makes it look quite good. That's just my two cents.

Lounge Deluxe

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2009
Amsterdam
Well I own an early 2009 MBP 17" with glossy screen and yesterday I played a little with the same model with a matte screen at a local Apple store. I have to say the matte screen looks pretty darn good, and this comes from someone that loves the glossy screen.
So to each his own of course, but the term hideous sounds a little too strong to me. It's not like the matte screen is less color accurate or anything.

MrENGLISH

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2009
I got a 17" matte, its hideous in the same way Britney was when she put on some weight and shaved her head: i.e. you still would.

I ♥ Bald Britney

20070217-bald-britney.jpg

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
That's great that you are able to do all your computing with the MBA it's a beautiful little machine and very capable. Me personally though I prefer my 15" MBP as my main computer, I just feel more complete. But i do love the MBA for travelling with, if i didnt have a wedding and a new house purchase in the next 7 months I would definitely splurge on one for when i go away. But I would only have it as a secondary and not my main machine.

entatlrg

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 2, 2009
Waterloo & Georgian Bay, Canada
That's great that you are able to do all your computing with the MBA it's a beautiful little machine and very capable. Me personally though I prefer my 15" MBP as my main computer, I just feel more complete. But i do love the MBA for travelling with, if i didnt have a wedding and a new house purchase in the next 7 months I would definitely splurge on one for when i go away. But I would only have it as a secondary and not my main machine.

Yes, so far so good the Air is doing a good job. It's me more than anything thinking I need the SD or more drive space, dvd but when I look at my day to day use the Air does the job. I throw a little usb stick sized SD card reader in my bag, and always used a portable hard drive to it's easy for me to make up for any short comings I find in my Air.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
Having owned the 13" MBP for close to 14 days, and now after purchasing a MBA a few days ago, I can confirm the MBA picks up way less glare vs the MBP. This of course has to do with the glass panel used on the current line of MBP's. Also found the MBA is brighter at max vs the MBP (brought my MBA into a Apple retail store to make a comparison side by side). I do however find the colors on the current MBP's to be richer. However, I will take less glare and a slightly less sharp color panel vs. what I dealt with on the MBP.

nagusjim

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2004
I feel like it looks exactly the same..but smaller haha. If the keyboard wasn't black then the silver of the matte would probably look better, but the black outline of the glassy screen accenting the black keys makes it look quite good. That's just my two cents.

I love the display on my 17" matte. I had a 15" glossy before (because that's all I could get after they took away the matte option), and was always annoyed with the glare. Even working in the dark, you still had to deal with the reflection of the backlit keyboard on the dock. I jumped on the 17" as soon as they offered it because of the matte screen option. I'm really quite happy with the decision. No more glare! I can see everything on the screen. It makes me happy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.