Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

afuturestrader

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 29, 2008
Does anyone have a suggestion I have overlooked to allow a Macbook to power two or more external monitors?

After doing a little research I believe that for my need and uses a Macbook would be ideal - except for one issue. For productivity reasons I use multiple monitors. My Macbook would most often be used in a desktop setting.

There are a few multi monitor possibilities for the MBP. One is the Matrox dualhead2go. Unfortunately the Matrox site says that its device, and the integrated video card of the MB, will not power even two 20 inch monitors.

Any other ways to power multiple monitors with the MB?

Thanks

jackiecanev2

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3A110a Safari/419.3)

i had my dual-head run by my macbook (2.2 sr, x3100) and it ran fine, but was limited to 1920x1080 total driving res.

lost eden

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2007
UK
The biggest problem with things like the dual/triplehead2go are that the monitors appear as one large monitor, not the 2 or 3 separate monitors that they actually are. This means that window management is severly hampered because maximising/fullscreening apps will stretch them across all of the monitors as a span rather than respecting the boundaries of each monitor.

afuturestrader

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 29, 2008

Thank for that review. I also noticed that the multi display technology in the reviewed Samsung can be found in other devices as well. For example -

http://sewelldirect.com/USB-to-DVI-External-Video-Card-High-Resolution.asp

And according to the maker a Mac version of the necessary software is due out at the end of this month. My one concern about the device is that it makes extensive use of the CPU. I wonder about system slowdown as a result.

A google search also turned up a device called vidock. However, it makes use of an express card which the MB does not have.

Any other multi monitor options available for the Macbook?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.